• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Why does JAO clear faster compared to other meads?

Barrel Char Wood Products

bjswift

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2007
Ok, I have a few batches, all started over two months ago, then I have a 1gallon batch of JAO which is clearing only into a month after being started. Why does this clear up so quickly? I know the recipe says it will be ready within 2 months and maybe a few days, but I am worried that my other meads are not clearing, but know in the back of my head I just need to keep waiting...

Come to think of it, I have a cinnful cyser which is clearing up faster than the batches started before it. I just hope my other two batches start to clear some day.

bjswift

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2007
Are there any side effects to using bentonite? Will patience and time add up to a clear mead?
I am interested in using a substance to help clear the mead, but shy away because I want my first few batches to be as basic as you can get, to use as a basis for future meads.

ehanuise

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2007
I'm also curious to know which part or combination of parts in JAO make it clear so fast.
The orange rinds ? grapes ? cinnamon ? use of bread yeasties ? :help:

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
ehanuise said:
I'm also curious to know which part or combination of parts in JAO make it clear so fast.
The orange rinds ? grapes ? cinnamon ? use of bread yeasties ? :help:

I don't have any data to support it, but my hunch is that bread yeast drops out of suspension more quickly than wine yeast. Also, when you look at raisins and sliced oranges, there is not as much particulate to be in suspension as there would be if you were using crushed fruit/puree/juice.

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
I wouldnt worry. The only time you should be concerned is when its not clear as you want and the yeast hasnt settled by the time you go to bottle. If you bottle at 6 months it doesnt really matter if it take 1 month or 4. The end result is the same. As long as there is noticeable progress being made you will be fine.

Yeast will have have different rates and which they will settle down to the bottom. Off hand I have to agree with Pewter. I havent heard of any chemical reasons like fruit acids, pectins or other ingrediants effecting this.

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
I seem to remember reading that tannins help clear a mead, and that the raisins in JAO add tannins. Might this be a possible reason? Just a guess, and I could be way off.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
My UFO mead (with kumquats) was clearing inside a week, if I recall. My guess is it's something in the citrus (oils maybe?) that helps with the clearing.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns