How the site appears to you will depend on your computer, your screen resolution, and your browser. I've also found that about 90% of the issues that occur on this site for people are because they never log out, or don't regularly clear their cookies and browser history.

I optimized the site for 1024x768, running on a Windows XP system, using either Firefox or Explorer 6.x. Since I do all the coding and modifications on my own, I don't have the time or resources from my job to optimize for all browsers and system combinations (hence the note to that effect at the bottom of the main page of the site at http://www.gotmead.com).

Regarding whether or not unread posts appear, over the the last 3 years I've had about 10 people (of the thousands that visit here) tell me that they weren't appearing. All, without exception, had issues on their system, either with undeleted old cookies, setup issues in their browser, or something else on their system.

Since I get nearly 100K visits a month here, if the unread posts function was messing up, I would have hundreds, if not thousands of emails from readers with issues, and I've not gotten any at all. So the odds are that the issue is local on your system.