Thread: Giving Up The Ghost

1. Default Giving Up The Ghost

So at what point do you give in and toss a batch that's gone bad?

My current (and first) cyser has been stuck with the dreaded sulfur smell. It's all but done fermenting now, but I think a combination of errors on my part have made it unsalvageable. *Using too many campden tablets (5 in a 3 gallon batch, I know, I know...) and raking off the lees too early, with probably some other factors like using too much yeast and putting all my nutrients in up front *

I've tried a few things to get rid of the smell/taste, and while they've lessened the effect, it's still pretty nasty. At this point, I think it's time to pour out the batch and say last rites. Any advice before it leaves this world for the next?

2. Default Re: Giving Up The Ghost

at worst, it could make some great vinegar

3. Default Re: Giving Up The Ghost

I had a cyser that was similar. I bottled anyway (named it "Nasty Apple"), put it away, and 2 years later it actually is quite good!

I don't know how bad yours is, but you might consider giving it a year and see how it changes.

Rick

4. Default Re: Giving Up The Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Scadsobees
    I had a cyser that was similar. I bottled anyway (named it "Nasty Apple"), put it away, and 2 years later it actually is quite good!

I don't know how bad yours is, but you might consider giving it a year and see how it changes.

Rick
    Heh...that was my thought... I really don't have to get rid of it, unless I just get hard up to use the carboy, I s'pose. I'm just not sure if age will redeem it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Default Re: Giving Up The Ghost

I would answer when you know it is not going to get any better.

I made a cyser once, left the spices in for too long, and there was no way anyone could gag this stuff down. 5 gallons down the drain. No regrets. That will not age out.

My first mead was straight nasty when I bottled it. Now, good when chilled and getting better. Future, who knows?

So the real question is do you need the space, or the bottles, or the carboy? If you can age it you may as well, you never know.