Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VIRUS ON GOTMEAD - CHECK YOUR SYSTEM - INSTRUCTIONS HERE!!!!!!

Default Re: VIRUS ON GOTMEAD - CHECK YOUR SYSTEM - INSTRUCTIONS HERE!!!!!!

I use specific tools for specific jobs on my network at home.

Firewall: Zone Alarm Pro
    Anti-Virus: Bit Defender Anti-virus 2008
    Spyware: Spyware Doctor 5.5

My feeling on suites like Symantec (Norton), Network Associates (McAfee), System Suite (V-tech) is that they all have their good points, but, the problem is that as catch-all programs they fall woefully short of the mark. Norton is so ubiquitous in it's installation that it steps on other programs and causes mayhem in other areas. The interface is grotesque, the suite itself can slow your computer to a crawl, its feature set doesn't integrate well, and Symantec is once again offering fee-based services under the guise of technical support. McAfee has a smaller footprint but is still lacking in several areas Internet Security 2008 offers security updates only once a day, independent test scores (catching new viruses in the wild) could be higher, no tutorial or manual, and they charge for telephone tech support.

Anyhow, as stated above I use a set of different apps aimed at specific duties and they work very well. I had to strip down a laptop to get the stinking bug on our main page to drop onto it. When it did my apps running in passive mode went after it like rabid piranhas.

YMMV,

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

I'm here to tell you that McAfee sucks. Not once, but *twice* in the last 60 days McAfee has decided that programs two of my clients have been running for *years*, just fine under McAfee, were no longer allowed to run. Calls to McAfee tech support yielded no help, they just spout canned stuff at you, while charging you for the opportunity. So having McAfee installed according to the instructions, running all the same software, not only randomly started blocking that software, but cost them hundreds of dollars of lost time, a fee to have me come in and fix it, and a fee to talk to McAfee, plus another fee to purchase Zone Alarm Pro. Definitely not worth it.

This after a recent McAfee automatic update. Both customers had to have McAfee completely removed by me, and new firewall software installed before their legit software would run again.

McAfee won't let you turn it off, and resists being uninstalled. Nasty program. I warn all my clients against it. And if they let me, I take them off of it and switch them to Zone Alarm Pro, which is better anyway.

I haven't had a single complaint from folks I've switched to Zone Alarm......
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

Hey, Vicky!
    The only problem I've had with Zone Alarm is that it slows me *way* down, and *continually* signs me off/on any IM program I'm signed into, both very frustrating problems. (But I really like the e-mail filter.) Do you have any advice for the technically challenged such as myself? Is it set up wrong?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you!

Zonealarm doesn't give me any problem with IM. You probably clicked a 'deny' at some point. Open up Zonealarm (double-click on the icon in the menu bar at the bottom), click 'IM Security' in the left hand menu bar in Zonealarm, and see what your IM security is set to. Mine is set to off, because I don't use it enough to need it. I would make sure it is no higher than 'medium'.

Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12