• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

VIRUS ON GOTMEAD - CHECK YOUR SYSTEM - INSTRUCTIONS HERE!!!!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I use specific tools for specific jobs on my network at home.

Firewall: Zone Alarm Pro
Anti-Virus: Bit Defender Anti-virus 2008
Spyware: Spyware Doctor 5.5

My feeling on suites like Symantec (Norton), Network Associates (McAfee), System Suite (V-tech) is that they all have their good points, but, the problem is that as catch-all programs they fall woefully short of the mark. Norton is so ubiquitous in it's installation that it steps on other programs and causes mayhem in other areas. The interface is grotesque, the suite itself can slow your computer to a crawl, its feature set doesn't integrate well, and Symantec is once again offering fee-based services under the guise of technical support. McAfee has a smaller footprint but is still lacking in several areas Internet Security 2008 offers security updates only once a day, independent test scores (catching new viruses in the wild) could be higher, no tutorial or manual, and they charge for telephone tech support.

Anyhow, as stated above I use a set of different apps aimed at specific duties and they work very well. I had to strip down a laptop to get the stinking bug on our main page to drop onto it. When it did my apps running in passive mode went after it like rabid piranhas.

YMMV,

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I'm here to tell you that McAfee sucks. Not once, but *twice* in the last 60 days McAfee has decided that programs two of my clients have been running for *years*, just fine under McAfee, were no longer allowed to run. Calls to McAfee tech support yielded no help, they just spout canned stuff at you, while charging you for the opportunity. So having McAfee installed according to the instructions, running all the same software, not only randomly started blocking that software, but cost them hundreds of dollars of lost time, a fee to have me come in and fix it, and a fee to talk to McAfee, plus another fee to purchase Zone Alarm Pro. Definitely not worth it.

This after a recent McAfee automatic update. Both customers had to have McAfee completely removed by me, and new firewall software installed before their legit software would run again.

McAfee won't let you turn it off, and resists being uninstalled. Nasty program. I warn all my clients against it. And if they let me, I take them off of it and switch them to Zone Alarm Pro, which is better anyway.

I haven't had a single complaint from folks I've switched to Zone Alarm......

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
Somewhere in Sacramento...
Hey, Vicky!
The only problem I've had with Zone Alarm is that it slows me *way* down, and *continually* signs me off/on any IM program I'm signed into, both very frustrating problems. :angry3: (But I really like the e-mail filter.) Do you have any advice for the technically challenged such as myself? Is it set up wrong? ???

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Zonealarm doesn't give me any problem with IM. You probably clicked a 'deny' at some point. Open up Zonealarm (double-click on the icon in the menu bar at the bottom), click 'IM Security' in the left hand menu bar in Zonealarm, and see what your IM security is set to. Mine is set to off, because I don't use it enough to need it. I would make sure it is no higher than 'medium'.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns