Thread: mead making glossary of terms/dictionary ?

Default mead making glossary of terms/dictionary ?

Does gotmead have a glossary/dictionary ? Because I keep coming across words and phrases that don't mean much to me and I'd like to understand more.

for example, stuff like XX% sugar break ? What's that ?

Cheers

fatbloke
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

2. Default Re: mead making glossary of terms/dictionary ?

John it took me a while to sus out the search button but if use the search thats on the tabs

Home-Help-SEARCH-Profile-My Messages-Calendar-Members-Logout

there's loads of info if thats what you were after!

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...2&topic=6019.0

cheers Scott...

That link is broken. Sorry for a such a necro'ing, but is there an actual glossary of terms here at gotmead? I keep seeing mention of a link, or "Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links." Where is this "top row of links"?

Maybe my browser is broken. Firefox refuses to display some things, or they're all "freakily jumbled up" sometimes.

That link is broken. Sorry for a such a necro'ing, but is there an actual glossary of terms here at gotmead? I keep seeing mention of a link, or "Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links." Where is this "top row of links"?

Maybe my browser is broken. Firefox refuses to display some things, or they're all "freakily jumbled up" sometimes.

Sorry but you've got us while we're in a construction zone... only the forum is working right now and has recently been upgraded to a different format so some of the things described in posts older than March 2014 or so may not represent actual site conditions... I believe the plans are to get the rest of the site up and running again but no idea on the timeframe, so we're missing our NewBee Guide as well as our Glossary, and our Mead Calculator. The member who took care of the glossary has been a bit busy IRL and I guess he hasn't changed his signature to reflect that our glossary is currently unavailable.

I would suggest to the mods that we create a "sticky" thread for an interim glossary at the moment to cover these bases, and if anyone has working links to or alternate versions of the Calculator and Newbee guide they should be made available in a sticky thread too, but maybe for now, just list the terms you'd like more info on in here and we'll try to explain? What were you trying to look up?
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    [COLOR="#800080"]

I would suggest to the mods that we create a "sticky" thread for an interim glossary at the moment to cover these bases,
    +1 and this would probably be a better long term fix under the phpbb architecture anyway.

I don't even remember now, specifically, what it was that I was looking for... and I might have already found it! :-P But, that's the beauty of losing your mind...you keep discovering new things every day. :-)

+1 to the idea of a sticky. i had suggested this in a thread that posted the meadcalculator.. or was it the newbee guide... Anyway, it got buried under newer posts
    Heh, would have never thought I'd see the post in which fatbloke asked what a sugar break is
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz

Emmeloord, Netherlands formerly Chicago area

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/ac.html

http://meadcalc.freevar.com/

Sent from the Nexus of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which has been infected with Vogon poetry, some of which leaked out here.
    Don't Panic!

From Portugal to Poland, on a perpetual pursuit for more honey.....

Issues unique to the Netherlands at
    http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...880#post222880