Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this?!!!

1. Default Has anyone seen this?!!!

Apparently if you use this machine you get get some very nice aged wine. I wonder if anyone has any input on this device:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-inventor.html

I just wish it was cheaper....that way I could give it a try.

Default Re: Has anyone seen this?!!!

Dude this is great. Maybe a brewclub could purchase one and see if it really works. I would love to have one so my turn around time would be better. Less hangovers means more mead drank.
    If I was a mead what flavor would I be?

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

Hmmm... this is something that I could try without too much time, money or trouble invested. We have a large ultrasonic cleaner tank at work (4 liter capacity) that I can borrow -- in the name of science, of course!
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

My Social Networking

Add sandman on Facebook

Ooo..ooo... Try it with a bottle of the Occult Noir.

5. Default Re: Has anyone seen this?!!!

Are you sure a cleaner wont be too strong and make the bottle explode?
    FairTax!!

This one has adjustable intensity. I'll just set it on low.

And Sandman, the ON hasn't been bottled yet, but as soon as it is, I'll give it a try! Should prove very interesting. I'm also gonna try it on my Rocket Fuel metheglyn, since that one will otherwise take a significant amount of aging time to mellow out.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

7. Default Re: Has anyone seen this?!!!

For those interested I have found the order form!

Click

Enjoy!

WayneB tell us how you make out! If you have success I might go ahead and save up!

Note: Fixed http tag for URL. Oskaar

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

After reading THIS, I am not so optimistic-
    Ultrasound generally produced very small chemical changes including reduction in acidity, increase in pH, and decreased absorbance at 280 m mu (primarily due to phenolic compounds). Sensory changes, however, were definite. A panel of tasters judged that ultrasound slightly decreased hotness (except with O/sub 2/), increased oxidized flavors, decreased grape aroma, and slightly decreased bottle bouquet without increasing complexity (except with O/sub 2/). Over-all quality scores were usually decreased by ultrasound.
    I would love to read this article in its entirety if anyone has access. Still, I don't want to discourage investigation. Wayne, please let us know what your results produce - as ever, mead may not behave the same way as wine.

Medsen
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Medsen, leave it to you to find the scholarly paper detailing a scientific study of the effect!

Based upon a reading of the entire abstract, I guess I should lobby for a cobalt-60 source at work, so I can try irradiation instead!

Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Glow-in-the-dark mead! There's an idea....
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

I would LOVE to try this anyway. AZ is so hot; I know I have a few meads that it would improve.

I wish there was a way to test on one of my meads before I bought. I would even pay for the 1/2 hour treatment in the machine!

FWIW, I doubt that there is anything special about the ultrasonic machine that has been turned into the Wine Ager. Any jewelry or dental cleaner large enough to allow submersion of a few inches of the bottle into the cleaning tank, that also has an intensity control, should do the trick. I was poking around ebay a bit to see what else might be available that could work, and I found this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/GEMORO-1-2-QT-ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-DENTAL-TATTOO-New_W0QQitemZ230299388529QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 30299388529&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3 A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It isn't as large as the one I have at work, and the tank isn't as deep, but you'd certainly get enough immersion of any wine bottle in it to do the job. More to the point, including shipping it is likely to be sold under $100.

If my experiments with the unit at work prove fruitful, I'll probably pick up something like this for regular home use.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

My Social Networking

Add sandman on Facebook

If your experiments at work turn out well, I may bid against you for it.

14. Default Re: Has anyone seen this?!!!

This might be a better alternative:

http://www.perfectsommelier.com/

I know someone who's used it on wine and she said it works. And it's under fifty bucks.

Phil

do you think this would work good on a mead like the chocolate one that has a longer shelf time?

There's no way to say without trying it. I haven't been able to get my ultrasonic cleaner test done yet -- but as soon as I do, I'll post results here . I want to do it with a double blind A - B comparison as judged by some of my mead-drinking friends here, so it will be at least a semi-scientific (though not statistically significant) attempt.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

17. Default Re: Has anyone seen this?!!!

If you can get me numerical data, I can run statistical analyses

Cool! Somebody to check my work!!

Seriously, with a sample size of seven, no statistical analysis of any kind will be able to conclude anything about anything -- but we'll have a damned good time accumulating anecdotal data!!
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

Before I built my wine cellar, I converted an old refrigerator with a temperature controller to maintain 55F...A friend who works for a distributor told me the vibration of the compressor would cause problems with the wine...So when I built the cellar, I mounted the compressor outside and the coils and fan in the wall with a rubber gasket to isolate it from the wall.

After the cellar was built my friend and I did an experiment by placing a bottle of 05' Martinelli Pinot Noir in both units and waited 1 year to test them (his dime)...It was amazing we tried them straight from the bottle and then through a Vinturi aerator...and in both cases the bottle from the converted refrigerator seemed "hot"...it was as if the alcohol had separated from the grape and water.

I'm not sure what the ultrasound unit will do in the short term, but it seems the results would be comparable.

Also the article mentions turning bad wine into good...from what I've read most of you produce some great stuff, so you shouldn't need it.
    Vino,
    The only thing slower than the hand of a clock...is a bubbling airlock!

did you ever get that test done wayneb?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast