• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honey: Local vs. Internet

Barrel Char Wood Products

OOC92

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2008
www.the9worlds.com
Our mead club is growing (currently two brewing members with many waiting with goblets) and it is becoming daunting the amount of honey our pleasures and experiments call for.

Living in Southern Louisiana, and hearing that local honey helps with allergies, I decided to use local honey; at 33 dollars for a gallon.

My associate surfed the web and it is daunting how the internet challenges these local beekeepers. But aye I shall keep the faith. I feel I must, considering the state of affairs of the modern world, the spirit of mead-making, and the fact that I skip shipping!

Comments welcome.

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Price will vary of course depending on where one lives, but I would shop around a bit - locally I mean. I pay 75-90 bux for 5 gallon pails of locally produced wildflower honey here in SE Michigan, and I would be willing to bet you can find it cheaper in Louisiana. 33 bux a gallon is kinda' pricey, assuming that it is a wildflower and not varietal honey.

- GL63

OOC92

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2008
www.the9worlds.com
That has been the best I have been able to find here. Other best bet is an hour and half drive west. If I were to drive to the source (1hour) I would save 5 bux. I will keep looking but it looks grim. I have noticed more beekeepers around Chicago. Guess here in Louisiana we have alot that grows but not alot that blooms.

Will keep looking, open to suggestions.

OOC92

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2008
www.the9worlds.com
Thanks for the mention but I am trying to get as close as possible without breaking my back. Got to admit though 5 gallons at 75 is, uh, sweet?

BeeFolks

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2006
www.beefolks.com
I'm all for using local honey for any purpose, but you can find a wider variety of honey over the Internet. Look around a bit, you might find something that sounds interesting. Today, I'm working on setting up a batch of pure Heather mead, soon I'll be doing two separate batches of Meadowfoam mead (one with and one without vanilla beans), and I expect to do a small batch of Maple mead soon, too (last batch tasted like port by the time it is done aging).

You might try contacting the LA Department of Agriculture, phone number will be either in the book or on the net. Many states require beekeepers to register their hives. It may give you more local options. LA has plenty of plants that bloom that the local bees collect from. The downside is that hurricanes over the last couple of years wiped out a lot of beekeepers, and CCD has closed down some of the larger beekeepers last year and early this year. Still, I'd think the Department of Agriculture would be a better bet to find local beekeepers than a random Google search.

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Local honeys can be the best or worst to make meads out of. I've been using my own honey out of my hives for three or four years and had some that was downright nasty and stayed undrinkable for over a year. I was able to trace the worst batches back to the honey that came from what I think was Bar Berry which is a popular southern honey. I was at a Mead seminar last year and a lot of the local mead brewers had off flavors from that same honey. I've discovered that just because it is a good table honey it doesn't mean that it will give you a good mead. With four good hives going I'm lucky enough to always have a surplus of honey on hand and always have one or two 5 gallon batches either fermenting or sitting in the secondary. Although I've never had the need to buy honey off the internet I am sure that there are flavors advailable that would make the extra cost well worth it. I would love to get my hands on a gallon of Tupilo for a classic show mead. Just to get everybody upset, I passed up on a 5 gallon pail of wildflower for $50.00 last year and I'm still kicking myself for not getting it.

OOC92

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2008
www.the9worlds.com
My colleague found a local honey guy quoting us 95 bucks for 60 gallons. Comes out to less than 2 bucks a pound.

Yes I know, what about quality, well it is Bernard's Acadian Honey, very good.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns