• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

When to take the OG in melomels?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I take the gravity reading before I add fruit so that the density of the fruit does not effect my SG measurement.

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
When I mix up the must, I let it stand for a few minuts and use a Turkey baster to get a sample from underneath the cap when it settles up top. Most fruit will add sugar to your must which your not measuring if your taking pre-inserted fruit measurements. YMMV

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I take gravity readings after the fruit is added, but I like to use a refractometer so that I can use a couple of drops and the fruit particles don't interfere. If you use a hydrometer, it helps to strain out the fruit or let it settle out to get a true reading.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Both.

You should check your brix/gravity once the honey is added, and then again after the fruit has been added. In many cases you'll find that your gravity has come down lower than you expected due to the juice being lower in brix/gravity than your honey must. It's also a good idea to take a fruit sampling at random (juice/crush up about 20 berries, some peach slices, or if you're using juice just measure it from the container, as long as you have a representative mixture of fruit/juice to get a good reading) before you add it in so you can calculate out how much the juice/fruit will dilute down your honey must gravity. There's a good tool in the Mead Calculator that will help with this.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns