Thread: how do you tell if a mead is bad?

Default how do you tell if a mead is bad?

Hey sorry, I know thats not such good wording but I couldn't think of any other way. So my question is, how can you tell if a mead has been 'compromised' and is undrinkable? Are there certain signs from the drink, certain tastes/smells? Can it cause different reactions in the people who drink it?
    If I could time travel, I'd probably use it to see how my brews were doing in the future.

Default Re: how do you tell if a mead is bad?

Generally if it smells like ass I toss it. There are lots of odors and visual indicators as well. Infections can range from mold on the surface to nasty tendrils of spoilage and bacterial colonies extending down from the surface into the mead, etc. If it smells bad and looks bad, it's probably bad. This is of course after fermentation and clearing.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

If it keeps you up all night wondering where it's gone.... It's Bad!
    If you walk into a party and people are taking turns until its exhausted, leaving you dry.... It's Bad!
    If it gets the Cops called on you every time its around... It's Bad!
    If you wake up alone with a hangover and an empty wallet... It's Bad!
    If it's never around when you need it... It's Bad!

Anybody got any other ways of telling if a Mead is bad?

Cheers,
    Wrathwilde

I'm curious because I tasted my mead the other yesterday and my stomach has been killing me, but my dad tried some too and he's fine, so I don't know if it's just me or what.
    If I could time travel, I'd probably use it to see how my brews were doing in the future.

Oskaar wrote: "This is of course after fermentation and clearing." I'll agree. Nothing will make you blow chunks faster than drinking some mead that's still cooking. WOOF!

DD

Funny, I love to drink my still fermenting mead, and it has never caused me any issues...other than spinning room syndrome...
    Bees stole my signature file!

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathwilde
    If it keeps you up all night wondering where it's gone.... It's Bad!
    If you walk into a party and people are taking turns until its exhausted, leaving you dry.... It's Bad!
    If it gets the Cops called on you every time its around... It's Bad!
    If you wake up alone with a hangover and an empty wallet... It's Bad!
    If it's never around when you need it... It's Bad!

Anybody got any other ways of telling if a Mead is bad?

Cheers,
    Wrathwilde

Wrath! You're back!! (I can tell....)

Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkboy
    Funny, I love to drink my still fermenting mead, and it has never caused me any issues...other than spinning room syndrome...
    I never drink any more than what's needed for a gravity reading... but I too have enjoyed the taste of most of my "still fermenting" meads.

~Wrathwilde

well there weren't any odd smells or anything, and it is done fermenting, so I guess its ok then?

P.S. I have tasted some of my still-fermenting meads and actually thought they were pretty damn good!

also as an unrelated side note, a pyment i made smelled like bubble gum, but only if you sniff the airlock which is filled with cap'n mo's spiced rum

that issue with your stomach could be an allergic reaction too.

I sure hope not! But the though did cross my mind.

Short of visible colonies of possibly-sentient things growing on the surface of the mead.

I can think of the following:

1.) Funky, ridiculously *wrong* smells like band-aids, dirty feet, or vinegar.

2.) A bacterial cased white-ring of death around the level of liquid in the carboy. That usually means an infection. Even then it's still drinkable. You can search the forums for it, basically it's cureable by campden tablets and usually means poor sanitzation.