• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

how do you tell if a mead is bad?

Barrel Char Wood Products

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Hey sorry, I know thats not such good wording but I couldn't think of any other way. So my question is, how can you tell if a mead has been 'compromised' and is undrinkable? Are there certain signs from the drink, certain tastes/smells? Can it cause different reactions in the people who drink it?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Generally if it smells like ass I toss it. There are lots of odors and visual indicators as well. Infections can range from mold on the surface to nasty tendrils of spoilage and bacterial colonies extending down from the surface into the mead, etc. If it smells bad and looks bad, it's probably bad. This is of course after fermentation and clearing.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
If it keeps you up all night wondering where it's gone.... It's Bad!
If you walk into a party and people are taking turns until its exhausted, leaving you dry.... It's Bad!
If it gets the Cops called on you every time its around... It's Bad!
If you wake up alone with a hangover and an empty wallet... It's Bad!
If it's never around when you need it... It's Bad!

Anybody got any other ways of telling if a Mead is bad?

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm curious because I tasted my mead the other yesterday and my stomach has been killing me, but my dad tried some too and he's fine, so I don't know if it's just me or what.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Wrathwilde said:
If it keeps you up all night wondering where it's gone.... It's Bad!
If you walk into a party and people are taking turns until its exhausted, leaving you dry.... It's Bad!
If it gets the Cops called on you every time its around... It's Bad!
If you wake up alone with a hangover and an empty wallet... It's Bad!
If it's never around when you need it... It's Bad!

Anybody got any other ways of telling if a Mead is bad?

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Wrath! You're back!! (I can tell....) :laughing7:

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
skunkboy said:
Funny, I love to drink my still fermenting mead, and it has never caused me any issues...other than spinning room syndrome... ::)

I never drink any more than what's needed for a gravity reading... but I too have enjoyed the taste of most of my "still fermenting" meads.

~Wrathwilde

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
well there weren't any odd smells or anything, and it is done fermenting, so I guess its ok then?

P.S. I have tasted some of my still-fermenting meads and actually thought they were pretty damn good!

also as an unrelated side note, a pyment i made smelled like bubble gum, but only if you sniff the airlock which is filled with cap'n mo's spiced rum

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
Short of visible colonies of possibly-sentient things growing on the surface of the mead.

I can think of the following:

1.) Funky, ridiculously *wrong* smells like band-aids, dirty feet, or vinegar.

2.) A bacterial cased white-ring of death around the level of liquid in the carboy. That usually means an infection. Even then it's still drinkable. You can search the forums for it, basically it's cureable by campden tablets and usually means poor sanitzation.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns