• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

10,000 character limit

Barrel Char Wood Products

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
The 10,000 character limit is becoming a problem... is there any way to bump up the limit to 30,000 or drop it entirely? There are a couple of old posts that I cannot modify because they are over the limit. Oskaar in a nutshell would be 19,234 and my Advice for Newbees weighs in at 10,300.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
How about a list of links to existing posts instead? Or maybe breaking the long posts into a series of posts instead, concise and dedicated to a single subject. Long posts are a chore to read and it's easy to lose interest.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar,
Wade

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
..The Problem is that in things like Advice for newbees, since the original post, lots of people have commented, and some of the info has changed, so adding another post to the end of a string or linking to another thread kind of defeats the purpose of having all the advice compiled in one place. Even if I were to delete an entire section of a post that has since changed (proper use of goferm is an example) the post would still tell me that the remaining section is too long and that I need to cull it down to 10,000 characters. Frustrating.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Actually, are forum posts the best vehicle for this information? They don't really require responses. I think a series of small FAQs linked on the main site would probably be more effective. Each one short and concise and confined to a single subject.

I don't know that re-posting the same information over and over in the forum is effective. The information is already there. We just need a means of pointing to it repeatedly and consistently.

I know I spend way too much time looking up a particular post and cutting and pasting a link in response to someone's questions. I would rather post a link because, again, that information already exists. Why repeat it?

The search function works but can return too many confusing results. One of the reasons for the confusion is repeated information in too many different contexts. FAQs would narrow that down.

I would love to collaborate with you on compiling and presenting the information. I know Vicky's hands are full but the main site is built on Joomla and it lends itself to doing this fairly easily. I'd even be willing to tackle that end of it if Vicky and Pete are too busy.

Maybe we ought to continue this thread in the Mentor Group?

:cheers:
Wade

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Actually, are forum posts the best vehicle for this information? They don't really require responses.
The information is already there. We just need a means of pointing to it repeatedly and consistently.

..True they don't really require responses, but can be useful if someone needs clarification. I compiled the Oskaar in a Nutshell thread because I was tiredof having to track down Oskaar's advice from multiple threads and wanted a spot I could reference it at one go. It also helps people understand his methods as a whole instead of a patchwork of posts they may or may not have read, and at 6000 plus posts that can be a daunting undertaking.

.. the Newbee Advice and Oskaar in a Nutshell Threads are stuck at the top of their respective Forum Boards and are meant to try and answer relevant questions concisely in the Forum.

..Although the information may be posted elsewhere on the site, and Angus has a good guide on the main site, these are specific to the Forum boards in hopes of answering the most common questions that arise in those Forums. They are the condensed knowledge of the forum participants in an effort to eliminate having to jump between multiple posts, and scour threads for relevant advice.

..I suppose We could come up with a Trusted Moderators Advice Board where the topics are split into categories. But I for one actually prefer the advice all in one go, you may learn something else useful along the way... that you may not have gotten if it were split into separate threads.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
I guess we just approach things differently, that's cool, everyone is different!

When I have a question, I want an answer. I don't want to have to slog through 30,000 words to find the 300 that will satisfy my immediate need.

That is why I like FAQs and Wiki's (hmmm, that has a nice ring to it: Vicky's Wiki!). I get the information I need without getting sidetracked or confused with things that don't immediately affect what I'm dealing with.

When I see a list of topics or table of contents, it usually arouses other questions that I hadn't thought of before and further avenues for exploration. And it's easy to navigate to those other areas.

FAQs and Wiki's do take some care in design and presentation to be effective, this is true. But for me they still beat trying to sift through the chaff for that single golden seed of knowledge!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Wade, I agree with Jered in this case. I for one find lots of tangential benefit to reading a thread associated with the information that I am searching for. If it were distilled down to a compilation of salient facts, then the context would be lost. We're either going to have to invest a lot of extra time in prepping the Wiki and/or FAQs to include contextual information, or we should merely be able to point to a thread (or a specific posting in a thread) as a starting point for the reader.

Just my 2c.

Wayne

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
..Also, they're meant to be an overview of Meadmaking tips for those still new to the process, as opposed to topic specific information that would benefit a more advanced brewer. Although I must admit, automatically linking certain terms with quick facts would be awesome, it is beside the purpose of the posts in question.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
I can see the point about context and tangential information. But that is a two edged sword. I get lost or bored in really long posts by the time I find what I'm looking for. And does it help me now in MY context?

From my first post:
The search function works but can return too many confusing results. One of the reasons for the confusion is repeated information in too many different contexts. FAQs would narrow that down.

Heck, this forum software already has a FAQ system. Look up at the links under the header of this page. Right now it just points to info on how to use the forum but I'm sure that mead topics could be added.

There is no reason that the really long posts in question couldn't appear in a FAQ. That way, they are in a single, locatable place. A link to them is easy to provide.

I find myself with extra time on my hands and am willing to tackle the structure. I like the idea of peer reviewed articles for it so that everything has an official GM seal of approval. I think it would simplify a lot of our lives once it was in place.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I can see the point about context and tangential information. But that is a two edged sword. I get lost or bored in really long posts by the time I find what I'm looking for. And does it help me now in MY context?

From my first post:

Heck, this forum software already has a FAQ system. Look up at the links under the header of this page. Right now it just points to info on how to use the forum but I'm sure that mead topics could be added.

There is no reason that the really long posts in question couldn't appear in a FAQ. That way, they are in a single, locatable place. A link to them is easy to provide.

I find myself with extra time on my hands and am willing to tackle the structure. I like the idea of peer reviewed articles for it so that everything has an official GM seal of approval. I think it would simplify a lot of our lives once it was in place.

Vicky and I are planning on using the FAQ's for this type of information as it is what the FAQ function is meant to be used for. This along with being able to direct users to certain places within the forums when they sign up, or navigate to a particular forum is strategically where we want to be.

doctajones

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2006
Boston, MA
I realize that responding to this at this point may be moot, but this would be my suggestion to the W v WW quandry.

You could have a locked thread where long posts are broken down into smaller chunks. Parts could be modified in the future if information/practices change, questions could be linked to specific sections of the post and all of the context is preserved for those who might wish to read more.

Those with questions would then post in a sepreate thread with no worries of seperating information in the main post and if the discussion led to a change in salient ideas/practices someone from the GM team would simply log into the locked thread and change pertinent parts.

Just my 2% of the (formerly) Almighty Dollar.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
That's basically what the FAQ will do, plus it is not subject to the same cache state handling and storage as large posts are. FAQ's are handled more elegantly, with more control, and provide a simple central location for the types of information chunks we're looking to serve up in the forums.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
That's basically what the FAQ will do, plus it is not subject to the same cache state handling and storage as large posts are. FAQ's are handled more elegantly, with more control, and provide a simple central location for the types of information chunks we're looking to serve up in the forums.

As Pete says, this is what the FAQ will be utilized for. I've long had an issue with super-long forum posts to compile information when I'm looking for a specific items. Oskaar in a Nutshell, Newbee Starter Tips and other such things will fit nicely into the FAQ format, and will allow me and other moderators to point folks to them easily. They will also (some of them) find a place on the menu to the left, so newbs can find them easily.

Wrath, I (and Gotmead) live on a shared server, so that means that I don't have unlimited bandwidth or space. Keeping this site online, spam-free, and within its space and bandwidth limits is a constant balancing act that takes time away from what I'd really like to be doing, which is expanding the content and knowledge on the site. (And please folks, don't send me your favorite free hosting, limitless hosting or other 'perfect' hosting solutions, I spent months researching to find the host we use now that meets both the needs of Gotmead and the web design customers I also host on my reseller account and do not plan to move again anytime soon. Moving to a new host is a weeks-long process that eats my life when I could be trying to find work that pays me food money).

Since Gotmead cannot support itself now with the income it has, I plan to maximize my efficiency of space and bandwidth as much as possible so I won't be forced to expand on my own nickel again, especially since I don't have any nickels (or even a salary). Someday we may get a dedicated server, but that day is in the foggy future just now.

Unlimited post size gives too much latitude to those who might take advantage of it, to the ultimate detriment of Gotmead. To that end, I plan to utilize the powerful tools that VBulletin has given me to keep Gotmead fast while providing as much function as possible. I may in future adjust that number higher, but right now that stays where it is.

I understand your concern, and will provide easy access to this type of info, via the FAQ, for those who are willing to make a few simple clicks and read the menu.

'Nuff said, I'm for bed.

Vicky

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
BTW, Wildaho, thanks *so* much for the offer of help!! Email me a phone number and we'll talk........

Vicky - really, *really* going to bed now....

doctajones

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2006
Boston, MA
Just a thought . . .

Will the FAQ info show up if one does a forum search? For those who do research their questions on the site before posting it might preempt some of the more commonly asked questions, instead of having the question asked and then refering the asker to the FAQ.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Buildmark, to date we have exactly 1 paid banner ad to put up (I'm having issues with the software at the moment). I'm going to approach the meaderies and brewshops around the US, but the last time the feedback was pretty low, LOL. We'll see, it might help. Thanks for reminding me I need to do that again, I've been focused on the site config...;)

Doctajones, no, it won't show up in the search, but we'll just point them there. It isn't that hard, and there will be a short post that new registered users are forced to read when they sign up that will tell them to read the FAQ first.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Vicky and Pete,

I have no problems with moving the information to a FAQ format, especially if it saves the webmistress some $$! :) As long as you preserve the essential tangential information that provides context for each question, that is a good way to go.

I just don't like FAQs that have been stripped of all ancillary information, and provide only one or two sentence answers to a list of questions that usually aren't frequently asked -- they're just the ones that the site creators are able to answer. I know that you guys won't do that.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Well, since there seems to be strong feelings on compendiums of info, how about you guys who are all calling for it do the dirty work and give me all the links for what you think should be in the FAQ? I'll decide what actually makes it, of course, but y'all can compile the data...

Vicky - heading off to bed after another 18 hour day

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns