• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

10,000 character limit

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
All,

This may piss some people off, but it's late at night here, I'm tired as hell, and frankly if some people take offense ... so be it.

Since when have Vicky, I or any of the other frequent posters on this site EVER been cheap and stingy with information we post up? This is one of the most verbose and freely sharing sites on the internet and a FAQ will not change or diminish that simple fact about this site.

Honestly, it's like there is some friggin accusation hanging out there that because we've changed the forum software (out of our own pockets, time and humongous phone bills in order to get technical support and a f#ckload of enhanced features in order to make this a more personally customizable environment for you all) that all of a sudden Got Mead? is going to cheap out on you and start deliberately diluting meadmaking information.

WTF? I mean honestly?

Bottom line is that these forums are changing, and our focus is to ensure that they change for the better. It's enormously disheartening to see posts where people are second guessing in advance of what and why we are doing what we are doing. It's equally disheartening to see these things posted up by folks who are part of Got Mead? before they've bothered to
voice their concerns directly to Vicky or I.

So, you ask why didn't we have a marketing campaign, or lay out a detailed plan of what is going to happen, when and why? Well, in case you haven't noticed we're not in the best of times. All of us (that means everyone on this site) are working our asses off to keep our heads above water, a roof over our heads and food on the table (and in my case dog food for pFredd). Vicky and I derive no income from this site, we both have day jobs and we live on opposite coasts. We communicate daily by phone on what to do, when we have to do it and how we should proceed. I think by this point we should have earned at least a bit of trust from you all that we know what the hell we're doing. We don't have a PR machine, and frankly we can't afford one so we do the best we can. That's going to have to do for now.

Pete "Oskaar" Bakulic

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Hey Pete,
..I, for one, trust you both to maintain this site to highest standards possible within budget constraints, and as much as I'd like to be able to extend and revise some of my posts... I respect Vicky's decision to limit the posts to 10,000 characters.

..I'm sure some of the newer members are unaware of the financial strain this site puts on Vicky, and weren't around when there was a very real danger of this site going belly up. The Subscription Model was introduced to take some of that strain off Vicky, it by no means profits her to do so. I for one commend you both on the fine job. I may not get all the behind the scene scoops, but I do know that GotMead is a Labor of Love for both of you, not a money generating side gig.

..Anybody who still hasn't subscribed, I would encourage to do so. Anybody who loves this site and is already subscribing at the base level... please consider bumping up your subscription to Premium Patron.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot
(Wrathwilde)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Wrath, thanks for that, appreciated. Build, thank you for the subscription.

It's the subscriptions that help keep us going, and the support from our community that keeps this thing alive. Just know that we're committed to improving this very special place wherever the opportunity presents itself. As with many things it takes time, and the changes aren't immediate, but, we do whatever we can whenever we are able to do so.

We're currently working on the main site and we're very excited about the new look and feel we'll have there as well. So hold on to your wigs, we have some pretty sweeping changes for the main site that should drive even more traffic our way.

Thanks for your support!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns