• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cool Stuff - Rank Icons

Barrel Char Wood Products
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You'll notice that Lifetime Patrons, Premium Patrons, Patrons and Administrators have Rank Icons now instead of just text.

Some of you may notice that there is a special group of members with Mead Mentor Rank Icons. This is the group of folks who will be assisting users in the assisted recipe section. We're currently working out some details with this group of people before we open this section up to posting.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I don't like it.

I think it's elitist.

just my .02

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. We're doing this for the folks who are supporting this site and have been here through thin times and have added to the value of the site with their recipes, advice, contribution and just generally being there for people when they are freaked out about their first batch. Our way of showing how much we appreciate them and their support. We'll be adding more special grafix as well and the look and feel of the site will be changing to a more polished and streamlined theme over time.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Ohhh, this is my first post since the change, what'll it be? "Slacker" for the few month absence. "Comic Relief" or a pun based title perhaps? Maybe Vicky & Pete got together and decided let's not call him anything, lets just ignore him. The Suspense is killing me, here it goes "Submit Reply"

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
I don't like it.

I think it's elitist.

just my .02

Excuse me?

How is it elitist?

Have you EVER been to a site that is as friendly or as informative as this one? Honestly?

This site is built on sharing of knowledge. Some members have shown a propensity for doing that. Nobody has ever asked anything more from you than that.

Granted, there are things in the Patrons forums that you won't see elsewhere. So what? Can you honestly complain about the information or help you have received otherwise? Have we not answered every question you've had?

Look. The main thing that Vicky and Pete have done with the "badges" is to acknowledge those who have shared their their knowledge. You can "trust" what they say, they have the official GotMead? seal.

How many forums have you been on that everybody is an "expert", at least in their own minds? And how many of those "experts" argue with each other?

Here, at least, we acknowledge those who give consistently good answers.

There are things that work for mead that don't work for beer or wine. We've all been there. The majority of users here are looking for answers.

The "badges" just help people know that the answers can be trusted based on community knowledge. And I think you will find that the "Mentor" badges are in agreement. Not just because we all decided that this is the way things "should" be, but because we have all independently come to the same conclusions.

So where is your "elitism" now?

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
i think he was just talking about the patron ones, since you have to pay for it and all, not necessarily the mead mentor/administrator ones,which do indeed help to inform us noobs of who we should definitely listen to (which by the way is indeed helpful, a few of you guys gave me tips on my first few brews and the only one that I knew for sure was an 'expert' was oskaar b/c everyone talked about him so much!) I'm sure he meant no offense by it

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yeah, I don't think he meant offense by it either, just talking out loud. At the same time I don't think Wildaho is being offensive either just talking out loud as well. I do it all the time.

It's a simple fact that by trying to please everyone, someone will become displeased. So, we tend to work toward pleasing the preponderance of the active users. Every once in a while we get folks who aren't pleased by anything and they usually go away on their own which makes our job easier, and the forums more pleasant. The rank "badging" is common on most other forums where they have "donors, elite members, advisors," etc. so we're really trying to emulate other forums that have been successful and modeling our content serving and forum experience based on those success stories. Some people will like it some won't. We hope most will.

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Again, I have to ask if your questions have not been answered? Regardless of "patronage" level? Even though you could do a forum search for 90% of what you are looking for?

We are here to help. The biggest benefit of patronage is recipes and the care and feeding thereof, in my opinion.

Look, we are willing to help everybody and anybody. We don't hold anything back when we answer anybody, regardless of level. It's just that you are going to find more info in the patron's forum. Not because we hold it back, but those that are serious about it are willing to post more information than "Please Rescue My Sorry Ass!". They are also more likely to help keep the site in existence.

Your Mileage May Vary...

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I'll add a little note from my perspective.

Even though there is a small group of mentors who will be dedicated to answering specific questions, not everything we say is absolutely the way anybody should do anything. At no time will you see us answer the "best or only way to do something is......" The advice we give will be based on experience, mostly mistakes, and we are passing on what we find works for a given situation. If there is another way of doing something that a non-mentor knows will work better, then that person can post as well, perhaps even correcting us. So rather than seeing the labels as elitist, see it as a way of being able to trust the answer a little more than one from another poster. Plus, expect an answer from a mentor since that is our responsibility and you should call us out if we do not get back to you in a reasonable period of time.

Finally, never stop questioning or pushing us. We are willing to learn from you too, and will not be offended if you disagree.

Angus

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I don't like it.

I think it's elitist.

just my .02

If it is the patron status that you find troublesome, all I can say is I don't think I'm particularly elite.

I do believe I understand Vicky and Pete's reasoning though. This site is not the marketing arm for a large brewing retailer - it stands alone and needs to become financially independent. Amassing a body of information including recipes (really good ones), techniques, and knowledge gained by experience that is readily available and easily searchable creates something of value. Most of us wouldn't think it odd to pay for a book (I have purchased several mead books), and if all the information and recipes in the patrons areas were printed, bound, and title "World's Best Mead Book" I think many folks wouldn't bat an eye at paying $25 to buy it. I personally think the $25 fee to access the material in the patron's areas is the best money I have spent on mead-making.

So if having a source of revenue from patrons gives GotMead a better chance to survive and grow, I think it is a good idea. Offering extra services for nominally more to premium patrons - I can't argue with it. Heck, if Vicky & Pete want to offer a platinum patronage where you get an authentic gold-plated Beowulf mead-horn autographed by Oskaar, I say go for it.

Why? Because deep in my heart I am selfish. I have a brewlog going for a leap year mead that I want to keep posting to it through at least 2012. I want this site to continue to be here. I want to keep getting updated on the latest an greatest of what is going on in the world of honey and mead. I want to keep up with the wonderful friends I have not-quite-met here (and maybe get to taste some of their special batches).

And please remember, this patron thing is not designed to exclude anyone. Anyone who wants to become a patron is welcome. This site is open to anyone that wants to learn about mead, and for folks who are casually interested, or just wanting to try it once, there is a great deal of information available, and a lot of folks willing to give good advice - all for free. But for someone who is seriously wanting to advance their mead making skills, joining as a patron is a good investment, and remains open to anyone.

I don't see that as being elitist.

Medsen (of the big soapbox)

Vino

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 30, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
Heck, if Vicky & Pete want to offer a platinum patronage where you get an authentic gold-plated Beowulf mead-horn autographed by Oskaar, I say go for it.

I'd pay real money for one of those...Vicky; please put me down for 2 ;D...do you think they'll ship in time for Christmas?

In all seriousness, this is the first site I have ever paid to join...not because I felt pressured or because of limited access, but because I wanted to...in large part due to the overwhelming support of both the Administrators and Patrons of this site...Thank each of you for taking the time to share your knowledge, recipes, and encouragement...without it I might have never brewed a second mead.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Amassing a body of information including recipes (really good ones), techniques, and knowledge gained by experience that is readily available and easily searchable creates something of value. Most of us wouldn't think it odd to pay for a book (I have purchased several mead books), and if all the information and recipes in the patrons areas were printed, bound, and title "World's Best Mead Book" I think many folks wouldn't bat an eye at paying $25 to buy it. I personally think the $25 fee to access the material in the patron's areas is the best money I have spent on mead-making.

thats a really good point!

and also
"In all seriousness, this is the first site I have ever paid to join...not because I felt pressured or because of limited access, but because I wanted to...in large part due to the overwhelming support of both the Administrators and Patrons of this site...Thank each of you for taking the time to share your knowledge, recipes, and encouragement"

agree with the above, haven't joined yet but probably will closer to christmas, and thanks a lot to all of you who help us out

Last edited by a moderator:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Wow. I hope the enthusiasm of all the previous posts comes across as what it really is -- we all LIKE being here! There are other forums out there that have a significant amount of meadmaking knowledge in their databases, but I honestly believe that you will not find, anywhere else on the planet, a group of folks who are as passionate about this hobby, and also equally as passionate about sharing their accumulated knowledge. That's why I joined, and why I will continue to do all I can to help anyone who comes here with questions.

I don't consider any of those new badges to be in any way elitist -- I hope you now come to understand a bit more about why they are there.

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
<echo>

Not to pile on or be too pedantic, but if you look at a definition of elitism, an elite is exactly what is required on a forum such as this promoting a craft highly dependent upon specialized knowledge and experience. :)

[A] select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes ... whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight ...

Although elitism got a bum rap in the last (every?) election cycle, it's sometimes a good thing! ;) In an online community such as Got Mead?, you need every bit of input you can to assess the quality of someone's posts. These icons give (to me anyway) that additional input. Do you care if someone has a paid patronship? Probably not, but do you care if they are a "Lifetime Patron" (bestowed, not bought) or "Mead Mentor"? Probably.

</echo>

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Heh heh heh, a man after my own heart! Nothing like a good knock down drag-out, old fashioned bar fight. They are all too rare nowadays! Everyone wants to escalate to guns, blades or whatever else they can find. Not that there are any rules to a barfight (or any other for that matter) it just makes it a bit tougher to take all factors into consideration.

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I don't like it.

I think it's elitist.

just my .02

Really? In what way?

Is it that I manage and maintain a venue for meadmakers to congregate at my own expense and time and have done so for 12 years? Or is it that every question nearly anyone has ever asked here has been cheerfully responded to by someone? Or could it be that we've the most combined mead making experience ever gathered in one place?

Do tell, Evergreenman. What is elitist about Gotmead? I'm genuinely curious. :D

The rest of you lugs, thanks for being a part of the Place! Gotmead wouldn't be the fantastic place it is without you!

And no bar fights in here, please....I just had the floors waxed. :rolleyes:

EverGreenman

Forest Dweller with a Wine Cellar
GotMead Patron
Nov 4, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Wow! This really hit the fan! Sorry to offend or break down any of your paradigms! Wait, no I'm not...

I didn't mean to be offensive, and I hope I didn't come off as such. But it seems like I may have hit a soft spot, or rather induced discussion...finally!

Thing is, I am a large advocate of anti-classism. I feel like creating classes creates boundries and differences, hostility (as is apparent from the overwhelming outcry of patrons in this thread against me, a newb to this forum) and barriers. I know you aren't hostile people! I know you mean the best! I know you have answers and advice based on personal experience and are ready and willing to share it with anyone! And I sincerely respect that and thank you for it!

I just don't like the badges! It makes it seem like some are privilaged and some aren't and I don't like that. You already have the patron section where you can discuss all your secret stuff, and one can join for the exchange of currency (I fully intend to join at some point, when I have currency) I just don't like the labels. I don't like labels. (except pretty ones that go on things. I strongly believe that people should stop labeling each other though.)

In regards to Wildaho's numerous questioning of "haven't you recieved answers to everything you've asked?" The answer is no. I've felt very put off. I often get "do a forum search" or "google it" as opposed to DISCUSSION. I know some of you have been around for a lonnnnnng time and have seen topics discussed numerous times, but that's no excuse to put off a question as "you can find it somewhere else". Yeah, I can, but I want to talk about it. That's all.

Anyways...I'm on a time limit here. Sorry again for offending anyone. I mean no harm.

::eek:ffers mead jug?::

oh and this:

Not to pile on or be too pedantic, but if you look at a definition of elitism, an elite is exactly what is required on a forum such as this promoting a craft highly dependent upon specialized knowledge and experience. :)

Quote:
[A] select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes ... whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight ...
Although elitism got a bum rap in the last (every?) election cycle, it's sometimes a good thing! ;) In an online community such as Got Mead?, you need every bit of input you can to assess the quality of someone's posts. These icons give (to me anyway) that additional input. Do you care if someone has a paid patronship? Probably not, but do you care if they are a "Lifetime Patron" (bestowed, not bought) or "Mead Mentor"? Probably.

was awesome. well played sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns