• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

NewBee glossary and canned search list

Barrel Char Wood Products

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
How about a reference in the form of a glossary? In addition to defining terms it could link to canned searches of the forums (could be as simple as phrases to enter manually in the search engine) and even specific threads or posts.

So much is available by searching the forum, but often one doesn't even know the right terms to use.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
How about a reference in the form of a glossary? In addition to defining terms it could link to canned searches of the forums (could be as simple as phrases to enter manually in the search engine) and even specific threads or posts.

So much is available by searching the forum, but often one doesn't even know the right terms to use.

The glossary is already in process, however we have several projects in front of that. The canned search is something low in the totem pole of priorities since this is very time and labor intensive, along with the obligatory explanation of how to search and use keywords.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
thats a pretty good idea, there have been a few times where I really didn't have any idea what to look for, moreso right when i started working on my first batch, but I still occasionally have trouble finding the right threads/posts, although the similar threads feature really helps

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
If you look off to your left in the Site Menu, there is a link to the existing Glossary Of Terms, a Meadmaking FAQ and the NewBee guide. If you can't see the site menu, look for an arrow right under the header. Clicking the arrow will either expand or collapse the menu.

As Pete said, these are being updated but still have lots of info in them.

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks, Wildaho. I missed the Glossary of Terms entry in the Site Menu. I have gone through both the Newbee Guide and the Meadmaking FAQ, both indeed chock full of info. I guess it was the canned searches that I was suggesting more than anything. It just made sense to me that it perhaps be in the format of a glossary.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
What exactly did you have in mind for 'canned searches'? It sounds interesting. Give me a clear idea, and I can tell you if it can be done.

Keep in mind that if there isn't already a mod created for such a thing, a programmer has to be hired to create such. That, unfortunately, isn't an option at this point due to lack of funds.

I am looking into a forum-based glossary that will link terms in threads to the main glossary for reference purposes. Keep your fingers crossed, the last version of this particular mod wasn't very good, and I had to take it off the system, but the programmer has released a new version, this time with English translations (the programmer is German).

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I am looking into a forum-based glossary that will link terms in threads to the main glossary for reference purposes.

That would be excellent and may serve just as well. What I had in mind is sort of the inverse, i.e., given a glossary with a phrase such as staggered nutrient additions what are the definitive threads or even individual posts that explain it beyond the basic definition. The ultimate would be to click on a phrase and have a forum search run for you, but it could be as simple as suggested phrases that one would manually enter in the search engine. Not to trivialize it by saying "as simple as": I know it is a lot of work to assemble something like that. What I had in mind could grow incrementally: Every time a Mentor found himself responding to a post with "try searching on this", maybe they could also add it to the Über-Glossary or whatever you want to call it.

Us NewBees totally understand how tiring it gets for the Mentors to constantly have to repeat themselves answering the same questions over and over. When it comes to the basics, they are pretty well covered in the NewBees guide and some of the "sticky" posts (I love "Oskaar in a nutshell"). For some of the more esoteric stuff, we often don't even know what phrase to use and we end up with searches so wide they return every thread in the forums or so narrow they return nothing at all.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
That would be cool, but unless I'm very lucky in finding a mod, that would require some serious reprogramming of the core code, and that isn't likely to happen......I'll noodle on it some, and see what crops up.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
That would be cool, but unless I'm very lucky in finding a mod, that would require some serious reprogramming of the core code, and that isn't likely to happen......I'll noodle on it some, and see what crops up.

And, as Vicky has mentioned before we have several projects in front of this one. So, if you want to volunteer to do this it will happen much faster. Otherwise, it's going to be toward the bottom of the priority list.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns