• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

getting ready or '09

Barrel Char Wood Products

paulh

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2007
NYS
I just picked up woodenware for two new colonies today and have been e-mailing someone about northern-raised nucs for a late May pick up date. I plan to expand to 4 colonies this year (up from 1), use more hygenic bees (no Italians!), implement some of Ross Conrad's "natural" techniques and go "foundationless" with half the colonies.

What are you doing this year?

A

andrewschwab

Trying not to increase! But yet another winery talked me into placing bees there. So add another 4 more to the apiary. That comes to about 25ish, help my family misses me.

Paulh thought of splitting your current hives for your increase? Just the cost of queen.
Making splits is the funniest part of beekeeping. At least I think so. :)

paulh

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2007
NYS
Paulh thought of splitting your current hives for your increase? Just the cost of queen.
Making splits is the funniest part of beekeeping. At least I think so. :)

Yep! The one, strong colony (if it survives the winter, that is) will be split. I have spent the last few evenings assembling woodenware: 4 deeps and 6 honey supers with frames and two inner/outer covers.

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I'm just planning on running with what I have this year, only have room and equipment for one more hive in my bee yard which is where a swarm will go if I catch one. I'm at 4 hives which gave me 45 gallons of honey last year and I didn't even push them for honey production. This year I'm hoping to pay a little more attention to the honey flows and get some different flavors out of the hives.

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
well I was out checking the hives today and they all look really strong. Looks like they wintered fine and are already growing fast. hoping for a little rain to get a honey flow going, it's been real dry the last two weeks or so and there isn't a lot of forage out there for the bees. Noticed some blooms starting on the orange and grapefruit trees but need some rain to kick the season off. My orignial hive which is 6 years old needs to supered up or it will swarm this year, it already has clumps of bees out on the landing board. Need to get back into the mind set that bees are my friend, I was a little intiminated by the hives today. They weren't agressive, just a whole lot of bees while I was only wearing gloves and a veil with a T shirt and jeans. It's a bit like jumping into cold water, once you get over the shock it really isn't that bad. Four hives with two deeps for brood per hive is still a lot of bees. The smoker is my friend, just keep it lit.

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
BeeBoy,

Could you add your location to your profile and to the Member Map? It's nice to know what's happening in what parts of the country. I'm glad to hear that your hives are thriving!

:cheers:
Wade

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns