• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ren Faires?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
Hello.
I was wondering if anyone visits their local Renaissance Fairs. I ask this as I prepare to attend the Palm Springs California event on March 20, 21, and 22, 2009. If ya make it out this way, I'll be the one leaning on the Rabbit's Foot Mead wagon. Someone has to hold it up.
Wassail Xixist

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
I've been to the one in Tuxedo, NY, they sell the "mead" from Brotherhood Winery. After one of those, I quickly went back to beer.

The renfair in Ansonia, CT, had mead from the Long Island Meadery. The same with the Medieval Festival in Fort Tryon, Manhattan. I wonder if the Manhattan Meadery will try to get in this year.

Phil

beninak

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Anchorage, AK
I used to be a regular at the Maryland RenFaire when i lived there. That was a total blast and they had a cart that served some incredible mead, wines and mead/wine blends.

We just have a really small one here in Alaska. Really the only thing I've enjoyed about it the past couple years has been hanging out in the Tavern and enjoying the incredible beers and meads that are made in this state while watching some entertaining theatre

osluder

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Texas has both spring (Waxahachie / Dallas) and fall (Plantersville / Houston) festivals. I haven't ever been to the spring one and it's been a few years since I went to the fall one. Roadtrips are in order this year to report on the mead offerings. -- Olen

MrMooCow

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 11, 2008
Woodridge, IL
I attend the Bristol Ren Faire in Kenosha, Wisconsin several times a year (drop me a PM if you do as well). It's an awesome faire, however their mead is The Crap. It's basically nothing more then white wine with honey added to it.

- Brett

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I love the Fla Ren Fest held down here in Deerfield Beach. It goes on for 5 or six weekends and starts in a couple of weeks. When I've been, though, they don't sell any good mead - I think it was Chaucer's last time.

Last year, the BeeFolks were there, and I had the chance to taste lots of honeys. I hope they'll be there again.

Medsen:icon_jokercolor:

Shanecb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008
I've been going to the Greater Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival for a couple of years now. Always a load of fun!

Bryon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 12, 2004
Phoenix, Az
Sandman, The Az ren far can be quite fun. The dead Bob show is good. But don't miss the Don Jon and Megal show. You could sit there an see every show on both days and no 2 shows would be exactly the same. They crak each other up and just go with it. the last show of the day is normally the best. They seem to add the days cut ups into that show.

The Mud man show or what ever it's called was just weird. I didn't get it.

bring lots of $5s. last time I was there most of the food was $5 each for what ever.

Last edited:

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
Hmm...
I'm thinking Ren Faire..midevil...bartering... I may just bring me a couple bottles and trade for something sharp and dangerous.
Xixist

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Bee careful! Although quite common in the Renaissance, trading alcohol for anything without a permit in these moderne tymes (and the requisite payment of associated federal and state taxes) can quickly land you in the klink. Do so at your own risk, and perhaps with a little subtlety and deference to the public setting.... :rolleyes:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns