• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Trivia

Barrel Char Wood Products

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
This from http://wine.about.com/od/winearoundtheworld/a/meads.htm

Mead and Celtic Tradition

In Celtic cultures, Mead was believed to enhance virility and fertility, while also contributing supposed aphrodisiac qualities. As a result, Mead quickly found its way into Irish wedding ceremonies. In fact, the term “honeymoon” is believed to have stemmed from the Irish tradition of newlyweds drinking honey wine everyday for one full moon (a month) after their weddings. Today, some Irish weddings still include a traditional Mead toast to the newlyweds as a fair tribute to times and well wishes of both old and new.

Xixist

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
There's really no good historical evidence to support this.

See here for a discussion of this and a reference to additional discussion on allaboutmead.com which is now defunct, but the good news is that Got Mead has all of the archives thanks to JamesP so you can search and read them to your heart's content. The earliest claim I know of is the Babylonian "Honeymoon" story (see here ) in other stories I've seen in books and on the web. I haven't come across any verifiable historical evidence, just stories about, people sharing folklore, etc. I'm not saying it's not out there, just no one has been able to find any solid, verifiable documentation to that end.

Cheers, Oskaar

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
I keep finding new corridors of knowledge as I wander the library known as Gotmead. Never stop what you are doing here. I plan on becoming a patron as soon as possible, and please pardon my newb ideas.
Xixist

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
No worries dude. I had boatloads of ideas until other people helped me sort out the real from the not so real. I wish Got Mead was around when I first started. It would have saved me a lot of time and detours!

Cheers, Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Doubtful, that's my sister's birthday weekend and it's a landmark birthday for her so we're having a shindig at my place. Don't tell her though, it's a surprise! :cool:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns