• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Mazer Cup International - Home Competition

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
The website is up and running for the home mead maker portion of the competition (the commercial side is still being updated and more information is being added). We're still getting people and support folks on board so some of the information will be getting updated intermittently and the places and people become available.

We have drop off points in Denver and Boulder, CO for those of you who are local and the website will be updated with that information later today.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we spin this competition up. Check the updated Mazer Cup International site out at

http://www.mazercup.com

Cheers,

Pete "Oskaar" Bakulic, Mazer Cup International Home Competition Director

epetkus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
Very Nice!

I won't have any mead ready by April, but can the general public attend?

Are there any thoughts to pairing the competition with a mead "conference", with speakers, display booths, etc.?

Eric

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Very Nice!

I won't have any mead ready by April, but can the general public attend?

Are there any thoughts to pairing the competition with a mead "conference", with speakers, display booths, etc.?

Eric

It's a bummer but there won't be any public events for the competition this year. It takes a lot of cash to put a public event on, and we're not a cash rich organization to the point of where we can do that. It is our plan to work this event into being able to support a public event, but for now we don't have the scratch to do it.

This year our goal is to put on the home and commercial competition and get our organization staffed up to the level of where we can support both competitions and begin the process of making an industry oriented event that follows the model of ZAP (Zinfandel Advocates & Produces) with elements of the Unified Grape and Wine Symposium.

So it is the plan to get back to a public event. One of the things professional mead producers like about the competition only event is that they aren't stuck on the floor pouring mead for two days straight. The current format allows them to talk to other Meadmakers about their bees, their equipment, etc and involve themselves in industry talk.

It may seem like a festival is a great way to get people to notice their mead, but a good portion of the crowd are there to get drunk on free mead and are simply migrating from table to table getting drunk. I can't blame them but formats like that take about 3-4 cases of each type of mead that they're pouring, and for a small producer that's a significant portion of their mead if they have 8 entries. They also have to ship that to the competition site and shipping takes licensing and freight isn't cheap.

Long story short, no public event this year, but we are committed to opening up to the public within the next two years if we're able to raise some seed money to do the event right.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I enjoyed the International Mead Festivals, the booths were wonderful, got to meet a lot of great people. But the cost is no exageration -- under past managment it took a few years just to get it to break even, and the expenses, all told, are fairly heavy. Oskaar and Vickie are reworking and reorganizing things so I'm sure that the level of involvement will pick up soon.

It can be difficult to get speakers -- I don't have much experience here, but it seems that for events like these, compensation may not be much more than having hotel costs for the speakers paid. The speakers that do attend these events are usually doing it more for their devotion to their area of interest than anything else, and as it is, they're taking on time off from jobs and time away from familes to be there.

I think we're going to see the level of involvement in the newly organized Mazer Cup gradually rise. For those who have been following events -- a little while ago, Oskaar took on the task of organizing the home meadmaker competition for the International Mead Festival, a new event for a competition that had previously been all commercial. He did a fantastic job and the first year, entries were the equal of the commercial folk. I'm sure we'll see much the same with the Mazer Cup, with both Oskaar and Vickie working behind the scenes, as it gradually picks up momentum.

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Okie doke. Registered, submitted, paid, and hopefully getting it packaged this weeked if I get a chance. If not, I'll have it in the mail within a week or so. I figure the earlier I get my entry there the longer it'll have to settle down from the shipping.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yup, saw the paypal notification this evening! Congratulations, you're the first home entry!

Cheers, Oskaar

CBiebel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 19, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
I have two questions:

1. How much are you "hurt" by having 2 12 oz bottles? Is it just the chance of one breaking or is it more than that?

2. If I have a mead in 2 Grolsch bottles, how much do you think it will hurt things to pour it into 2 bottles and then bottle cap it for the competition?

BTW, the mead in question is a "traditional" mead.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I have two questions:

1. How much are you "hurt" by having 2 12 oz bottles? Is it just the chance of one breaking or is it more than that?

2. If I have a mead in 2 Grolsch bottles, how much do you think it will hurt things to pour it into 2 bottles and then bottle cap it for the competition?

BTW, the mead in question is a "traditional" mead.

Dude, not sure what you're asking here, whaddya mean "hurt?"

If you're asking why we need 3 bottles, it's simple. We have multiple judges at a table, if we need to go back after a flight and compare again the mead is poured again and we judge it again. That's one bottle.

If you go to the medal round, that's the second bottle. Then there's none left for the BoS round.

If a bottle breaks during shipment (which is not at all uncommon), there's only one left. What you seem to be asking is if we really need three bottles. The answer is yes, we do.

So if you're going to re-bottle, just do it the day that you ship it. Mead is amazingly resilient and resistant to oxidation as compared to wine. Be sure to minimize contact with oxygen as much as is possible and flood your receiving bottles with CO2, as that will help.

Cheers, Oskaar

docdean1

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 11, 2009
san diego,ca.
i noticed on the entry rules it has april 3rd as the cutoff dates for entries but the pdf link for the entry rules says april 11th for the cutoff date...is that just a typo or would that be mail ins for one and drop offs for the other? just a heads up =)

CBiebel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 19, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Dude, not sure what you're asking here, whaddya mean "hurt?"

If you're asking why we need 3 bottles, it's simple. We have multiple judges at a table, if we need to go back after a flight and compare again the mead is poured again and we judge it again. That's one bottle.

If you go to the medal round, that's the second bottle. Then there's none left for the BoS round.

If a bottle breaks during shipment (which is not at all uncommon), there's only one left. What you seem to be asking is if we really need three bottles. The answer is yes, we do.

So if you're going to re-bottle, just do it the day that you ship it. Mead is amazingly resilient and resistant to oxidation as compared to wine. Be sure to minimize contact with oxygen as much as is possible and flood your receiving bottles with CO2, as that will help.

Cheers, Oskaar

By "hurt" I meant how much does it mess up your chances for a medal. Based on your answer, it looks like it doesn't do that, but it would prevent a "Best of Show". That's all I meant.

I was just debating whether to try to send in the 2 bottles or to wait until my next batch of the same mead is ready and enter then instead.

Last edited:

cam07ds

Mazer Cup International Staff
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2008
Parker, CO
Well my entry is in also, I picked my favorite of my first meads. Its a young one but very different. Good luck to every one.
Steve

exlineg

Gotmead Patrons
GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2008
Colorado Springs
Entry Cutoff Date

DocDean,

Good catch! The cutoff date is in fact April 3rd. With both the commercial and home entries arriving we're going to need at least a week to get everything sorted and checked in.

I'll get with Oskaar and get the PDF info updated to reflect the correct date.

Cheers,
Glenn
Mazer Cup International Judge Director
(Which is a lot like herding cats!)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
i noticed on the entry rules it has april 3rd as the cutoff dates for entries but the pdf link for the entry rules says april 11th for the cutoff date...is that just a typo or would that be mail ins for one and drop offs for the other? just a heads up =)

Fixed! Good eye doc!

Thanks for hopping in there Glenn!

cam07ds

Registered Member
Sep 2, 2008
Parker, CO
Cam, will you tell us about it after the competition?

No problem, I've entered my XXXXXXXXX mead. Its getting better everyday even though its going to be young I think it just might do ok for my first try.
Thanks for asking
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Nananananananana...I can't hear you!! Cam, edit your post, there are judges for the MCI who read this forum, and you don't want to taint the pool!! Tell about your mead *after* the competition........

cam07ds

Registered Member
Sep 2, 2008
Parker, CO
Nananananananana...I can't hear you!! Cam, edit your post, there are judges for the MCI who read this forum, and you don't want to taint the pool!! Tell about your mead *after* the competition........

Sorry about that my bad. Thought about that after the posting but thanks for fixing it for me.
Steve

See you can still tell I'm a new-bee

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns