• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Some guidance for a friend.......

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Someone from one of the other forums has asked me about.........mead;)

Anyway, she has made a basic 5 gallon batch (currently fermenting for 2 days, started at SG of 1085), what she wants to do is to add some fruit as well, but.......

The fruit is small batches that have been put through a "steam juice extractor" and equate to 1lb of fruit (1lb of strawberries, 1lb of blackberries and 1lb of blackcurrants) - or 500mls of the extracted juice.

It seems that she wants to split the 5 gallon batch up into 3 x 1 gallon with fruit and leave the other 2 gallons as traditional mead.

The honey she's used so far, it basic raw wild flower stuff (a gift from a friend/colleague/apiarist I understand).

What is the way ahead ?

I'm thinking that she should be adding the fruit when it's moved from primary to secondary and then finish "as normal".......

Does anyone have any other suggestions/ideas ? as I don't want to screw it up etc, just "point her in the right direction" (she's a competent wine maker anyway, it's just that mead is something new to her).

TVM for any info

regards

fatbloke

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
Personally, I would let it ferment without the fruit and then rack onto the different juices. Not that I think it would be wrong to split them up sooner. I just find that I lose more mead while racking smaller carboys than I do in larger ones, so keep it all together until I rack off the gross lees.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Personally, I would let it ferment without the fruit and then rack onto the different juices. Not that I think it would be wrong to split them up sooner. I just find that I lose more mead while racking smaller carboys than I do in larger ones, so keep it all together until I rack off the gross lees.
I think adding the juice to the secondary (or late in the primary) will work fine. Just remind her to use pectic enzyme given the heated juice ( in higher amounts since the alcohol will be present).
Thanks for the ideas both, very much appreciated, I'll be off over to the other forums to PM your suggestions/ideas. Hell, I might even just c&p your quotes for her (oh, I can feel the laziness just oozing out of me.....).

Then she can just make her own mind up with how she wants to treat the mead....

Again, TVM

regards

fatbloke

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns