• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honeybee problems...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Meriadoc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2005
OK, I've been away for the past 2 years around here (blame an MA Philosophy on that), and as I'm looking to move away from home for some more schooling (yeah, I know ... can't get enough of that pain), my mind has turned to what I can do, mead-wise, while I'm experiencing the joys of dorm life once again.

In the midst of that, though, I recall seeing on news reports that honey bees were having serious problems in the states, along with dire predictions of the effects on plant life. However, I think I've (more recently) seen something that suggests that "they" have discovered the source of the problem.

Given our interest in honey, I'm wondering... what have you heard about this? Is there any good new news to share, or is rising honey price and bee mortality what we're in for?

Merry

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Hello Meriadoc,
It is good to see early GotMead folks coming back. The follow-up on older batches is much appreciated.

I don't think there has been much good news with regards to the bees. They have not actually identified the cause of CCD despite a lot of study. There are some good threads if you search a bit, including Here and Here. I think most of us are still quite concerned, and rising honey prices are certainly one aspect.

Medsen

A

andrewschwab

honey prices

Well the Oregon wild blackberry flow was the worst I have seen. So don't plan on seeing much of that honey around this year...:(

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns