Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All New Newbee Guide to making Mead

Default All New Newbee Guide to making Mead

Hello all,

It has been a while since I have really had the chance to get back to the site. Too many things going on. But, I want to let you all know that the NewBee Guide to Making Mead has been updated and improved. Please go and take a look, even if you have read it before. There are a lot of additional features including a guide on using the calculator.

If you think of something that is missing, let me know. Likewise if you see a mistake. I hope it covers what is needed to start making Mead, but am open to suggestions.

Angus
    Chan fhíach cuírm gun a còmhradh

A feast is no use without good talk.

Looks great! Nice job.

One thing: the autosiphon now comes in 1 gallon jug size, e.g. here.

Also, the guide mentions stopper sizes for various containers. I use #7 for my 5 & 6.5 gallon glass carboys and #7.5 for 1 gallon glass juice containers (Santa Cruz organic apple juice). Could just say "check first before you buy" or recommend one of those "universal" stoppers.

And this has bugged me for years--Tej is made with gesho, which is not hops. Similar in use, but definitely a different plant. Gesho can be bought in Ethiopian markets, traditionally both the leaves and bark are used. (Brundo in Oakland sells bark and powdered leaves.)

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

Here's a mistake:

In many cases, seeds are both a flavor detriment, and a pain when racking. If you can go seedless, do so. Some seeds are used to add some additional flavor or astringency to the Mead, such as cherry pits, but it is easier to add them later s needed than to deal with them in your fermenter.
    on the ingredient page.

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Angus it is great to hear that the update is done, but, uhh.., I can't load it. When I select the NewBee Guide, I get the menu column on the left side of the page, but the page itself is blank. Is it just me?
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

yep. same thing when I just tried to load it.

That is wierd. I just tried to load it, and the same thing happened to me. The guide is gone!

I will IM Vicky to see what's up.

Angus

It was there with June updates yesterday around 4pm.

Gardenfish

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

This looks like a generic problem with the main Gotmead site. All the large center frames are blank on all the main site pages.

Vicky/Pete - hope that helps.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

It was obviously there last night when I posted, as well.

Hey, it's working again! Thanks folks.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon

Noice, I tried checking it out yesterday but it was down, going to check it out now then.
    If I could time travel, I'd probably use it to see how my brews were doing in the future.

Wow, this new guide is...great!
    If I could time travel, I'd probably use it to see how my brews were doing in the future.

13. Default

As a newbee myself, I appreciate the guide. One area that I feel might deserve its own section is advice on variations of mead? If I want to make a Melomel, do I have to boil the fruit, or is it the same as the debate on boiling honey? Do I add fruit during primary, secondary, or both? What are the basics I should know if I want to make a sparkling mead? etc.

I know these are touched on slightly in the guide, and I could find the answers on the forums, but I think if it's possible to consolidate them into the newbee guide, it would make it easier for us.

Thanks for listening, sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds here.

EnsNentill, you are not at all overstepping bounds! We welcome constructive comments to improve the Guide, and all other aspects of the site.

Angus, I'll take this one on. I owe you that, since I didn't get a chance to contribute earlier! Stay tuned for some inputs from me....
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

Keep them coming everyone. The goal of this site is to help, so any comments are never overstepping anything.

thanks Wayne. Whatever you can do would be great.

Angus

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    This looks like a generic problem with the main Gotmead site. All the large center frames are blank on all the main site pages.

Vicky/Pete - hope that helps.
    The center panels are there for me, and on several different workstations I use in physically different locations.

This is more than likely a setting with your local, pop-up blocker, java, anti-mal/spy/virus/spam applications.

Boot clean, with no security applets loaded and go to the site. If the issue persists let me know.

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

The issue's come and gone, Pete. In fact I figured that you already did something about it. No changes to any of my systems here -- they just showed back up with data in 'em after a couple of days.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

18. Default Thanks for the newbee guide update

I just wanted to thank Angus and whoever else contributed to the update - this is a much improved resource for folks like me who are new to meadmaking, and should save a lot of basic questioning in the forums (or provide ready answers).

I agree -- many thanks to Angus and all those who have contributed. I was just reading over the guide again and it is a terrific resource.

Angus, I was looking through the guide and didn't see a clear section on stabilizing and backsweetening. Does that topic warrant a section of its own given the number of questions that arise on how to do it?
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast