• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Dogfish Head Brewery

Barrel Char Wood Products

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
See, you should have come to the NHC in June. He was there! Next one is in Minneapolis. I am totally going.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I probably should have, but couldn't get my son to go with me. I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't go to Minneapolis--unless I could find some way to justify the expense.

Hee hee

Shanecb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008
That video was great. I love Dogfish Head's beer. I recently tried their Sah-Tea, and it was very interesting.

STLBrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
That was a great video. Every Dogfish Head beer I have had has been great...the only bad part is, you can't get it in St. Louis (or Missouri period). I have to cross the "creek" into Illinois if I want to pick any of their beers up.

I have had the pleasure of trying a few of them thanks a fellow brewer that has vacationed up that way, though...

Thanks for posting the link to that article!!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Um, all-you-can-drink beer? Where is the doubt? It probably won't snow in MN in June.

I don't like beer, Aaron! I know that's heresy and anti-American and perhaps even amoral, but I just don't do bitter, even coffee. And yet I'm fascinated by the whole process of brewing, which seems rather unfair, actually.

:angry3:

I especially liked how he said he'd done, what? Five batches of homebrew before he launched his brewery? Them's some seriously platinum-plated cajones he has.

Last edited:

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I don't like beer, Aaron! I know that's heresy and anti-American and perhaps even amoral, but I just don't do bitter, even coffee. And yet I'm fascinated by the whole process of brewing, which seems rather unfair, actually.

:angry3:

I especially liked how he said he'd done, what? Five batches of homebrew before he launched his brewery? Them's some seriously platinum-plated cajones he has.

Not all beer is bitter!!! You can brew any beer you want, screw the Reinheitsgebot. How do you feel about sour? Did you say you don't like vinegar either? You're a tough nut to crack! Well still, there are lots of ways to do beer that would satisfy a sweet tooth.

And as far as Mr Dogfish, I believe he had the fortune of access to some family money for his startup fund. I've been looking for long-lost rich uncles for years now, so far no luck.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I've got some rich uncles, but hell'd freeze over before they'd part with any of it for me. :)

I have had lambics, and those weren't bitter at all and quite tasty. Tricky to make, though, right?

My e-mail to you asked for recommendations for books to read to learn more about brewing beer before embarking on my son's graduation amber ale-like braggot. But since that account seems to be defunct, maybe it didn't even get sent in the first place.

STLBrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Depending on how much into it you want to get, Wildoates, there are a LOT of books on brewing...

For example...http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0...&field-keywords=home+brewing&sprefix=Home+Bre...shows 1,954 books that reference home brewing!!

But, there are a few that I would recommend to anyone interested in the addiction:

How To Brew - John Palmer
The Complete Joy of Home Brewing - Charlie Papazian
Homebrewing For Dummies (believe it or not!!) It explains it in normal English!!
Radical Brewing - Randy mosher
Extreme Brewing - Sam Calagione (the Dogfish man himself!!)

That's my top 5...there are plenty of others that get me through. Hope my input may be slightly helpful...

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
The reason I asked for recommendations was precisely because there about a million brewing books on Amazon. :)

Might have to try the Dogfish Head one just to keep on topic. :)

I want to make a fantastic braggot for my son to toast finishing the master's degree he just started, to be ready Mayish 2011. His favorite beer is an amber ale (I asked, because he makes lots of different kinds), so I want to make a braggot that is also an amber ale. Never made beer, so I need to do some homework.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Lambic is not more difficult to make per se, but it does involve a large time commitment. The funk beers are slow to mature. I hope mine are ready by next summer. Better start now on yours!

STLBrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
The reason I asked for recommendations was precisely because there about a million brewing books on Amazon. :)

Might have to try the Dogfish Head one just to keep on topic. :)

I want to make a fantastic braggot for my son to toast finishing the master's degree he just started, to be ready Mayish 2011. His favorite beer is an amber ale (I asked, because he makes lots of different kinds), so I want to make a braggot that is also an amber ale. Never made beer, so I need to do some homework.

My thoughts on that are:

1) Good for you to make something for your son's Master's Graduation...that's what all awesome mom's should do!!

2) Brewing beer is pretty easy...and if you do extract it is almost as easy as dump, boil, ferment...

3) I am oversimplifying things today, but not by too much! :rolleyes:

4) Seriously...check out Homebrewing For Dummies first. The part that actually talks about Homebrewing is pretty informative (since you already have the sanitization and fermentation part down, it is a little faster to learn!!) and breaks it down in plain English.

5) I will dig through the brewing library at home and see what I can come up with on a possible direct source for an Amber base beer to "modify". By modify, I mean add honey to!!!

Oh, and the book recommendation is NOT an implication of any sort!! ;D

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
How to Brew first edition is free online. I think the print edition is up to 3 now so if you like it, buy the book, but the online version will get you pretty far without having to go buy anything new.

Amber beer is a pretty broad category. Just throw some crystal 40 in there and some hops and the rest is just base malt. Easy. For the "extreme" version you could do something more Dogfishy and use some sucanat, flamethrower raisins, or red hot rocks a la Lost Abbey. That was an interesting beer!

STLBrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
That's right...How to Brew is free online! I forgot about that!

Ambers are a broad category indeed...it just depends on how malty or hoppy you want them and how Amber or "Red" you want it to be. Lots of options, but it is all pretty easy...and definitely a good one to tweak and play with!!

Gardenmead

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Santa Rosa, California
I really recommend "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher for a fun, informative read with tons of great ideas, weird recipes, history, pictures, old illustrations, etc.:icon_thumright: It was the most enjoyable brewing book I have read. He has great sections on different types of unusual sugars, herbs, and grains that can be used in brewing. A lot of stuff in this book is useful info for meadmakers.

"How to Brew" by Joe Palmer is my favorite nuts and bolts brewing book. It is comprehensive, packed with useful tables, charts, calculations, and organized in a helpful way.

Palmer has a pretty basic amber ale recipe that might be a good starting point for your braggot.

You are an awesome mom!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns