Thread: JAO clarity?

1. Default JAO clarity?

So, my batch of JAO is about 2 months old, and it's pretty clear. I haven't tried reading newsprint through it yet, but I think I could; however, it seems a little foggy as compared to the cyser and metheglin I currently have brewing beside it (which are about 2 weeks younger than it). So, I'm just wondering if maybe the Fleischmann's yeast makes it a little cloudier, or am I just being impatient and need to let it sit longer?

Quote Originally Posted by EnsNentill View Post
    So, my batch of JAO is about 2 months old, and it's pretty clear. I haven't tried reading newsprint through it yet, but I think I could; however, it seems a little foggy as compared to the cyser and metheglin I currently have brewing beside it (which are about 2 weeks younger than it). So, I'm just wondering if maybe the Fleischmann's yeast makes it a little cloudier, or am I just being impatient and need to let it sit longer?
    Yep, let it sit longer. Nine months, at least, is about right for aging a JAO.

Myself, I like to make two one gallon batches of JAO, when finished rack to a single one gallon carboy, leaving the orange rinds, raisins, ect., behind from the two batches. It works, and I can bulk age a one gallon batch of JAO with no extra "stuff" in it.
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)