Thread: Juniper Berries in Mead?

Default Juniper Berries in Mead?

Hi Folks-

Just picked up some dried juniper berries at World Market- Just caught my eye as I was perusing the spices. I searched the forums for references to their use, but wasn't really finding what I wanted.

I am trying to think up a good way to use these in a wildflower mead. Thinking of gin, they likely go well with citrus fruits, and from my homebrewing, I think of coriander as a nice pairing with citrus fruits. So how about it, any great ideas? Tried and true recipes? Love to hear your insights.

Did you see this thread? It looks to have some good info for recipes.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    Did you see this thread? It looks to have some good info for recipes.
    Thanks- somehow I missed that one... A couple of the links were bad, but I like the Lithuanian recipe, and it appears that a 1 oz / gallon ratio is a tad high! Good starting points.

If you use the advanced search, and search for juniper and limit it to titles, it will pull up a few more threads that may have something useful. I haven't checked the mead lover's digest archives on the main GotMead sight, but there may be some good stuff there if you do a search on the main site (the forum search only searches the forums).
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Hey BikeNBrew,

I experimented with Juniper Berries a bit recently and I'll share that experience. I tried making a Chamomile Metheglyn a few years ago that came out completely bland with no Chamomile flavor at all. Since I love Gin, I decided to do an experiment. I reopened the 750 ml bottles (they were flip-tops) and added differing amounts of juniper berries to get an idea how to use this spice. After letting the bottles sit for a couple months, I found that 4 berries per bottle gave a strong juniper flavor that I loved. So if you want a strong gin-like flavor, that berry/mead ratio might be a good starting point. Juniper is also commonly used in lower concentrations to make a more nuanced flavor contribution or as part of spice blends, but I have no experience with those approaches. Also, the berries held up well in the bottles and didn't disintegrate or anything. I think they look cool in the final product.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Syme; 10-03-2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: horrible speloing
    The rare, stange thing is to hit the mark; the gross obvious thing is to miss it.
    -GK Chesterton

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Syme View Post
    Hey BikeNBrew,

I experimented with Juniper Berries a bit recently and I'll share that experience. I tried making a Chamomile Metheglyn a few years ago that came out completely bland with no Chamomile flavor at all. Since I love Gin, I decided to do an experiment. I reopened the 750 ml bottles (they were flip-tops) and added differing amounts of juniper berries to get an idea how to use this spice. After letting the bottles sit for a couple months, I found that 4 berries per bottle gave a strong juniper flavor that I loved. So if you want a strong gin-like flavor, that berry/mead ratio might be a good starting point. Juniper is also commonly used in lower concentrations to make a more nuanced flavor contribution or as part of spice blends, but I have no experience with those approaches. Also, the berries held up well in the bottles and didn't disintegrate or anything. I think they look cool in the final product.
    Good luck!
    If you want it more like Gin you'll need at least half a dozen other herbs and spices :P. There are all sorts of blends used at different distilleries. Hehe, just splitting hairs.

But I do love Gin, its about the only liquor I can drink anymore. So what you've got sounds interesting.
    Last edited by MagicNinja; 10-03-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Redstone meadery produces a juniper berry mead. You could purchase that and see if you like how it tastes.
    If I could time travel, I'd probably use it to see how my brews were doing in the future.