• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Juniper Berries in Mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

BikeNBrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
Hi Folks-

Just picked up some dried juniper berries at World Market- Just caught my eye as I was perusing the spices. I searched the forums for references to their use, but wasn't really finding what I wanted.

I am trying to think up a good way to use these in a wildflower mead. Thinking of gin, they likely go well with citrus fruits, and from my homebrewing, I think of coriander as a nice pairing with citrus fruits. So how about it, any great ideas? Tried and true recipes? Love to hear your insights.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you use the advanced search, and search for juniper and limit it to titles, it will pull up a few more threads that may have something useful. I haven't checked the mead lover's digest archives on the main GotMead sight, but there may be some good stuff there if you do a search on the main site (the forum search only searches the forums).

Syme

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2007
Near Asheville, NC
Hey BikeNBrew,

I experimented with Juniper Berries a bit recently and I'll share that experience. I tried making a Chamomile Metheglyn a few years ago that came out completely bland with no Chamomile flavor at all. Since I love Gin, I decided to do an experiment. I reopened the 750 ml bottles (they were flip-tops) and added differing amounts of juniper berries to get an idea how to use this spice. After letting the bottles sit for a couple months, I found that 4 berries per bottle gave a strong juniper flavor that I loved. So if you want a strong gin-like flavor, that berry/mead ratio might be a good starting point. Juniper is also commonly used in lower concentrations to make a more nuanced flavor contribution or as part of spice blends, but I have no experience with those approaches. Also, the berries held up well in the bottles and didn't disintegrate or anything. I think they look cool in the final product.
Good luck!

Last edited:

MagicNinja

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 24, 2009
Hey BikeNBrew,

I experimented with Juniper Berries a bit recently and I'll share that experience. I tried making a Chamomile Metheglyn a few years ago that came out completely bland with no Chamomile flavor at all. Since I love Gin, I decided to do an experiment. I reopened the 750 ml bottles (they were flip-tops) and added differing amounts of juniper berries to get an idea how to use this spice. After letting the bottles sit for a couple months, I found that 4 berries per bottle gave a strong juniper flavor that I loved. So if you want a strong gin-like flavor, that berry/mead ratio might be a good starting point. Juniper is also commonly used in lower concentrations to make a more nuanced flavor contribution or as part of spice blends, but I have no experience with those approaches. Also, the berries held up well in the bottles and didn't disintegrate or anything. I think they look cool in the final product.
Good luck!

If you want it more like Gin you'll need at least half a dozen other herbs and spices :p. There are all sorts of blends used at different distilleries. Hehe, just splitting hairs.

But I do love Gin, its about the only liquor I can drink anymore. So what you've got sounds interesting.

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns