• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Can I be sure a cyser isn't contaminated?

Barrel Char Wood Products

WhatIf...

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Hello all,

I feel bad to come here with such a simple potential mistake, but it has potential to change a lot!

I started a batch of cyser on Saturday night , and everything appears to be working properly (bubbles rising to the top, etc.), but, I found out this evening (about 48 hours after pitching the yeast) that I had forgotten to fill my airlock to the fill line with water, so it, in all likelihood, wasn't serving much function.

So, my question is, is there a possibility that overlooking this detail could cause contamination? And how could I tell that it is safe/unsafe? Aside from a more noticeable scent, I can't spot anything that would be going wrong, but I am certainly not an expert.

Thanks in advance!

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm not an expert either, but I would say chances are your brew is fine. If your yeast are happy and bubbling along, I doubt there is any microbe in your house that could compete with them in that environment. You're probably fine if it doesn't taste/smell/look funky.

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
No worries Whatif.....I typically just keep a lose cover on mine until the 1/3 sugar break. Incorporating air into the must during this phase is actually recommended (read through the New Bee guide). So long as you keep it covered so no wild stuff gets in you'll be fine.

Tell us what you're making. Post your recipe and everyone can look at it. What was the orig SG and where's it now?

WhatIf...

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Even if it's safe from other yeasts, is there any reason to worry about any sort of toxins that other organisms like bacteria could have potentially made before eventually being killed off?

This is my first attempt at cyser, so I'm starting extremely simple and making two small batches: each is half a gallon. I used:

-1.25 pounds of honey into each container, or 2.5lbs/gal
-Lavlin 1118 yeast
-a little bit of yeast energizer
-in one of the containers, I tossed in two sliced kiwifruits just as a "eh, what the heck!" adventure :p

The OG (according to the mead calculator) to be around 1.120 for the one without kiwi, and 1.125 for the one with it. I don't have anything to measure the SG currently, but am thinking that may be a handy tool to pick up.

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
Even if it's safe from other yeasts, is there any reason to worry about any sort of toxins that other organisms like bacteria could have potentially made before eventually being killed off?

There are all sorts of things that occur naturally and are already in the cider. Once the wine yeasts take over, they'll create an environment that's suitable. Rising alcohol levels and lowering PH will typically kill off anything that might be in there.

You might try adding a little peptic enzyme to your batches. It will help clear the batches later.

A hydrometer is a "must" have. Next trip to your brew shop, I'd suggest getting at least one...two will give you a spare, for when the first one breaks.....;)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Welcome WhatIf...!

There are no organisms that will make you sick which will grow in mead so you are safe. Spoilage organisms can ruin a mead by making it smell and taste bad, but it won't harm you.

I sometimes put an airlock on without filling it early in fermentation. It keeps insects out (mostly) while letting air in which is good. You haven't hurt anything.

Medsen

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns