• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A (minor) search concern

Barrel Char Wood Products

slowbie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
West Michigan
First of all, I cannot thank you enough for this wonderful website you've put together. I have probably looked on here an average of three times a day for the past three months and read and read and read and loved every minute of it. I am hoping to become a patron in the near future, but am holding off with grad school on the horizon and a lot of financial question marks because of that.

The one issue I just had was when, while using the search tool, I tried to search for "Joe's" (no quotes) and it claimed that there were no results. I also tried an advanced search, searching just the thread titles and it also said no results, even though I got the whole idea to search Joe's from this thread's title.

As you may have guessed, I was looking for recipes by Joe Mattioli and have since found a more effective way to do so, but I'm assuming the problem is with the apostrophe since "Joes" did give me results. I don't know how easy/necessary it is to fix this, but I thought I'd just let you know.

Thanks again for a great site.

Big Mac

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2009
Perhaps it is the length of the search term. An experienced member suggested that one search "sur lie," but both terms are too short to search.

slowbie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
West Michigan
I thought that too at first, but usually it notifies me when I'm searching for a term that is too short.

That being said, I just searched "wouldn't" and got plenty of results. It tells me that Joes works and it tells me that Joe is too short. But when I search Joe's it just tells me that there are no results. Maybe it's just an isolated thing then.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I've encounter the same problem. It seems to occur with the apostrophe in some cases as you have identified. Leave the apostrophe out, and it works. Vicky and Pete are aware of the issue and I believe that are looking into it, but quite frankly because it is a minor thing I think it is way down on their to do list.

Sabar

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 28, 2009
Loganton, Pa
I have been doing searches for Sur and Lie together. as in "Sur Lie" that hasn't been giving any results either.

But now the question is. I shouldn't have been searching them together?

Sabar

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Man, sur lie does kind of defeat the search thing, bummer. You could try "lees", but you'll get a lot of mishits. Hmm. Oh! try "battonage".

trennels

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 9, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Thanks, Akueck! I had been having the same problem trying to search "Sur Lie". Searching "Battonage" came up with a lot of good results.

I'm constantly impressed with the number of helpful people on this forum. Once the holiday insanity is over I'm definitely becoming a patron.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
This is a shortcoming in the search engine, and we're at the mercy of the developers on this one unfortunately.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Sabar

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 28, 2009
Loganton, Pa
I doubt very much anybody would blame anyone for one small glitch in the system. At least, I know, I don't.

Thanks though for battonage

Sabar

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
sur lie

How to perform your own unsupported queries on gotmead.com:

1. Go to http://www.bing.com
2. In the search box, enter site:gotmead.com along with the rest of the search terms.
3. Success!

This works great for short terms, and has the added bonus of searching the entire gotmead.com site, not just the forums.

-Sires

slowbie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
West Michigan
If you want to search just the forums you can enter site:gotmead.com/forum

This also works with Google and probably most other major search engines if you're like me and have a hard time bringing yourself to use bing. :)

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Sadly, search functions in forum software tend to be rather poorly done. This is the case with every forum package I've researched in the last several years.

We are aware of the apostrophe thing, and that is an issue in mySQL, where an apostrophe indicates the end of a field. It wants to see a /'/ inside a field to indicate the apostrophe, escaping it so it can be read. However, this doesn't work great in the search.

We may at some point introduce a Google search on the site, I'll put it on my list of things to research. That list is very long, and I'm doing this in my spare time from working for a startup company, so it goes slowly. I'll not use Bing, I've had too many issues with it, and gotten way too many negative reports on it.

Glad you like the site! I'll keep working to make it better and more informative.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns