• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Search terms too short?

Barrel Char Wood Products

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
I was going to post a topic asking about CO2 on-demand setups, and figured I'd check for any pre-existing topics covering it. My search was "CO2 gun". My result was that the words I'm searching for are too short?! That's the stupidest thing a search engine has ever told me. I changed my search to include a longer term instead of gun, but umm, not sure what to call CO2 other than CO2.

Can we get some Bing up in here? Check this out:

Bing's search results, same query

-Sires

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Carbon Dioxide, maybe? :rolleyes:

Seriously, we know about the limitations of the search tool, and it is documented pretty well in earlier posts on the subject (if you had searched on 'search terms too short' you would have found them). ;)

While we are aware that we do not have to be 100% at the mercy of the limitations in the forum software, since the net aspects of Gotmead are handled by Oskaar and Vicky without any compensation (and often without proper credit for all the hours they put in keeping this site up and running), some things will get fixed/updated/enhanced when they can get to it. They do have lives outside the Gotmead universe.

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
Ok, well, I thought I was being helpful. That'll teach me! Sorry.

edit: on the offchance we're misunderstanding one another, allow me to clarify two points. Firstly, searching for carbon dioxide will not return the results that contain CO2. Thus, I have no way of searching for CO2. Yes, some results may contain both terms, however inevitably I'm not going to get all the possible results. Secondly, I'm reasonably sure that I'm the first to offer a solution to the problem. Trying to be helpful here.

Last edited:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
No, you didn't misunderstand. My quip about carbon dioxide was just that. You are correct that you cannot search the term CO2, nor any other three letter word or abbreviation, with this forum's search tool. That is an annoying quirk of the utility provided with the software that hosts this board, but we can't easily change it.

Except for the fact that BING returns a lot of irrelevant extraneous links along with the ones that you truly were interested in searching for, it does work to get around the problem. Still, I can't in good conscience endorse using a tool that is in fact a "tool" of commercial interests having no relation to Gotmead and throwing up links that are obviously blatant advertising, bringing in no revenues to Gotmead -- that's just my personal bias, and anyone who is tool-savvy enough to use it, or other things like it, are certainly free to have at it.

But as I noted earlier, Oskaar and Vicky are aware of many shortcomings inherent in the current system - and they are diligently working those issues, one at a time, as time permits, without reward other than the knowledge that they are making Gotmead the premier meadmaking site on the web.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
icedmetal, your suggestion is appreciated. I sometimes use a google search of the site which I find pulls in more results than Bing for some reason.

The biggest shortcoming to using such search engines is that they don't search the Patron's topics (which then excludes some really important stuff). Also because these engines make it difficult to narrowing the search down to specific authors, or certain other features, they tend to pull in loads of stuff to have to sort through. In some cases such as CO2 gun, the number of hits isn't to high. If you put in oak - you'll have 500 hits. Still, in a pinch where the search tool on the site can't get the results, using Bing or Google is a good step to take.

I applaud you for your diligence in searching!

Medsen

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I have changed the search function settings to work with 2-character items. This should alleviate the issues with CO2.

Big Mac

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2009
I still can't get it to work for "sur lie." I just tried "CO2" and it doesn't work, either. I was going to search for "tea" and got the same error result.

As an aside, thanks for providing this website, Vicky, and thanks to all the Mead Mentors for all your help.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns