FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: JAO - Bucket or Carboy?

Default JAO - Bucket or Carboy?

When everyone here makes their large batches of JAO, what do you prefer fermenting bucket or carboy? The only reason I ask is because getting those oranges out is a pain!

I really like the JAO and want to make a large batch so that's why I'm asking.

-Shawn

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

If you plan to follow Joe's recipe exactly, use the carboy.

If you don't mind deviating and voiding the warranty, it is easier to manage in a bucket and then rack to a carboy.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

3. Default

I have never made JAO, but it's the only recipe my wife makes.

She makes it in one gallon batches, according to the recipe, and just uses a bottle brush to get the fruit out after fermentation. After a couple months in the bottle, it's pretty soft, and not really a problem to get out of the bottle. In a 5 gallon batch, it may be a bit more difficult, but only because a 5 gallon carboy can be a bit unwieldy.

Just adding a little more to Medsen's post -- buckets are used in the early stages of fermentation, when oxygen is needed to help the yeasties get a foothold in the honeymust. Once past that stage, it's best to transfer to glass.

Either way, at some point you'll be dealing with spent orange sections in a carboy.

I just shake the carboy to get the oranges out -- a quick and vigorous shaking will quickly get an orange into the neck of the carboy and from there a paring knife will ease it out. It works with either a one gallon or five gallon carboy.

--
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

I wouldn't leave it in the fermentation bucket for longer than the primary fermentation. I had a bucket spring a leak not too long ago. Not fun, and I lost my leap-year mead.

If you do a JAO in the 1 gallon demijohns, I recommend a metal crochet hook to help get the orange bits out. Size K works the best.

6. Default carboy or bucket?

I've made JAO twice, and both times it took about 6 months to become drinkable. I use a plastic water bottle (as it's impossible to find carboys in my country). The plastic bottles, of course, can be chucked out at the end of the process.

I don't know if the plastic contributes to it taking so long to become good.

I've got some in a 3-gallon Better Bottle right now. With my first batch I found out the value of being able to see when it's clear.