• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Calculator - V1.0

Barrel Char Wood Products

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky,

a work-around to allow clicking on the screen to update the calculations:

Change the form tag for the calculator to include the onClick event handler
Code:
<FORM NAME="util" onClick="i_updateStats();">

I can do an alternative for the ampersands if required (although you got these working ;) ).

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK, I added that new form tag.

Yeah, I hacked the core code to get that to work. Apparently the ampersand bug is known in Joomla (though not yet fixed....::sigh::)

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Huh. I tried it and got a popup window that told me:

1 0 1.12 13.612479051443316

Which is pretty much gibberish to me. :(

Although I did input 1.12 as a target gravity. Not sure what the other numbers are supposed to be.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky,

you must be frustrated by now, with all the back and forth to get this working.

I've attached the updated code.

-Avoiding the single ampersand bit comparison
- form onclick handling
- removal of debugging message mentioned by Akuek

Hopefully this works as it should.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky,

I forgot to mention,

With the new data file, the window.open() and the help file url will need to be modified as before.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Good pickup, Medsen.

There was also an error in conversion to Imp Cups for the Target/Current Volume settings. (And I thought I was thorough in checking the code :confused: )

I've fixed that up, but before annoying Vicky again to get the updates loaded, .....

Question

Do I need to also add Table Spoons, Dessert Spoons and Teaspoons, or are they too small to worry about ?

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky,

Sorry about the re-work. Here is V1.1.
It should point to the correct Help File URL.

Medsen & Wayneb,

Thanks. They are left out, as you suggest.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Vicky/James,

I run into an error message with the calculator when I attempt to put in a target gravity and an amount of honey in pounds and try to let it solve for the volume. It brings up a little box with an error and a long string of numbers.

I hope it's an easy fix.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I found what appears to be another conversion error in the calculator. When you enter a value in the weight of honey and covert to cups, it gives an erroneously high number. The same problem occurs if you enter 1 gallon of honey and covert to cups - it gives 30.6226 rather than 16.

I hope that is an easy fix.

PAMeadMaker

NewBee
Registered Member
May 14, 2010
Catasauqua, PA
I noticed something in the Mead Calculator but I'm not sure if it's a problem or just SUE (stupid user error). I'm doing the calculations for a 1 gallon batch. I want to have 18% ABV and a FG of 1.06. According to the calculations given in the Recipe Calculations I should use 77.7oz of honey (3oz * 18 = 54 and 3oz * 7.9 = 23.7), which yields 4.85625# of honey. If I check the Target Volume box and enter 1 US Gallon, check the Additional Sugars #1 box and enter 4.85625 Pounds and hit Calculate, I get a SG of 1.174 and an ABV of 21.49. In the Potential Alcohol Conversion box, if I enter the SG of 1.174 and the FG of 1.06, I get a 14.84% ABV result. In order to get close to 18% on the Potential Alcohol Conversion, the OG would have to be 1.2. Entering 1.2 in the Target Gravity box up top and then unchecking the Additional Sugars 1 box would then change the amount of honey needed to 5.566#. I think I'm probably doing something wrong but I'm not sure what it is. Can you please help? I want to get the honey amount right for this recipe and I'm getting 2 very different amounts.

MrMooCow

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 11, 2008
Woodridge, IL
So.... the blending calculator. I have never been able to get this to work. Never, ever, ever. I enter the known ABVs (17, 0), I enter the known volume of #1 (5), I enter the desired ABV (12), and click on Volume #2..... and nothing happens. Even changing ABV 2 to a non-zero number has no affect.

Is there a bug or am I stupid? Is there something obvious I am doing wrong here? I've tried it in both firefox and IE.

Thanks to everyone who put this together and got it up and working!

oldwhiskers

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Is V1.1 of the mead calculator with the cup conversion correction available or is it a patron only thing?

I started my first mead last night and was planning on using the cups measurement until I noticed a problem as I measured out the honey from a 5# container. I actually measured a little over 6-1/2 cups for the 5# of honey instead of the 12-3/4 the calculator said. I went back and measured and refilled the container afterwards to cross check. This would give a smidgen over 3/4# per cup.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Hi there oldwhiskers,

Welcome to "Gotmead?"

I'm not sure about the mead calculator. Most recipes use pounds just to get within range. Your best bet is to go by your S.G or a Brix Reading. All honey vary due to different water content.

Glad to see a fellow Tennessean Meadcrafter, we seem to be a rare breed around here.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns