• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

1- gallon recipes

Barrel Char Wood Products

eyedea

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 2, 2010
Atascader, Ca
www.facebook.com
i have been looking around, tried the search and came up with a similar thread, however the only one i found was the quick grape(i also took the advice in the thread and went through 5 pages of joes posts), and i was looking for something with a little less fruit, and im not necessarily looking for quick, but does anyone have some 1 gallon recipes i can try or that they have tried and particularly cared for?
edit: forgot to say, going to farmers market this thurs night to pick up honey and ingredients so that might help with suggestions?

Last edited:

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
You can always just scale down larger recipes that look good.

I'd recommend doing at least 1 traditional when you're starting out, I'd shoot for right around 2.25lbs (14% ABV) of honey, no other ingredients other than yeast and nutrients (check out some forum posts on Staggered Nutrient Additions for good advice on those). Assuming you use a yeast with 14% or higher ABV that should give you a nice dry traditional, which you can always backsweeten a bit to taste if 3 or 4 months from now you decide you just don't like it dry (but I'd give it at least that much time, the first couple months can be kinda rough... not at all comparable to what it will taste like later).

Prolific_Praxis

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2007
I'd recommend doing at least 1 traditional when you're starting out, I'd shoot for right around 2.25lbs (14% ABV) of honey, no other ingredients other than yeast and nutrients (check out some forum posts on Staggered Nutrient Additions for good advice on those). Assuming you use a yeast with 14% or higher ABV that should give you a nice dry traditional, which you can always backsweeten a bit to taste if 3 or 4 months from now you decide you just don't like it dry (but I'd give it at least that much time, the first couple months can be kinda rough... not at all comparable to what it will taste like later).

Agreed! I tend to use a full three lbs of honey in one gallon batches but to each their own. Perfecting a 1 gallon batch of "traditional" mead is the way to go for your first couple times around. Good luck and happy mazing!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Agreed! I tend to use a full three lbs of honey in one gallon batches but to each their own. Perfecting a 1 gallon batch of "traditional" mead is the way to go for your first couple times around. Good luck and happy mazing!

3lbs for dry or to end sweet? That's be a little high ABV for me if it went dry!

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
For 1 gallon batch experiments, these days I typically go with #3 of honey and run primary as a traditional. Then when I rack to secondary I'll add the other ingredients be it spice, fruit, tea, or whatever. So far it's been working out pretty well. Particularly with blueberry and raspberry meads. I go with a single bag of frozen fruit from the store (no sugar added), thaw it out, then rack my mead over it. Easy peasy...

I'm still developing more complicated recipes, but for something to keep the carboys bubbling, this method is working out well for me. It keeps the "What if I do this" factor covered as well with minimal loss when things go awry. LOL
:cheers:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns