Thread: 1- gallon recipes

Default 1- gallon recipes

i have been looking around, tried the search and came up with a similar thread, however the only one i found was the quick grape(i also took the advice in the thread and went through 5 pages of joes posts), and i was looking for something with a little less fruit, and im not necessarily looking for quick, but does anyone have some 1 gallon recipes i can try or that they have tried and particularly cared for?
    edit: forgot to say, going to farmers market this thurs night to pick up honey and ingredients so that might help with suggestions?
    Last edited by eyedea; 02-03-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: forgot to add

You can always just scale down larger recipes that look good.

I'd recommend doing at least 1 traditional when you're starting out, I'd shoot for right around 2.25lbs (14% ABV) of honey, no other ingredients other than yeast and nutrients (check out some forum posts on Staggered Nutrient Additions for good advice on those). Assuming you use a yeast with 14% or higher ABV that should give you a nice dry traditional, which you can always backsweeten a bit to taste if 3 or 4 months from now you decide you just don't like it dry (but I'd give it at least that much time, the first couple months can be kinda rough... not at all comparable to what it will taste like later).

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post

I'd recommend doing at least 1 traditional when you're starting out, I'd shoot for right around 2.25lbs (14% ABV) of honey, no other ingredients other than yeast and nutrients (check out some forum posts on Staggered Nutrient Additions for good advice on those). Assuming you use a yeast with 14% or higher ABV that should give you a nice dry traditional, which you can always backsweeten a bit to taste if 3 or 4 months from now you decide you just don't like it dry (but I'd give it at least that much time, the first couple months can be kinda rough... not at all comparable to what it will taste like later).
    Agreed! I tend to use a full three lbs of honey in one gallon batches but to each their own. Perfecting a 1 gallon batch of "traditional" mead is the way to go for your first couple times around. Good luck and happy mazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Prolific_Praxis View Post
    Agreed! I tend to use a full three lbs of honey in one gallon batches but to each their own. Perfecting a 1 gallon batch of "traditional" mead is the way to go for your first couple times around. Good luck and happy mazing!
    3lbs for dry or to end sweet? That's be a little high ABV for me if it went dry!

For 1 gallon batch experiments, these days I typically go with #3 of honey and run primary as a traditional. Then when I rack to secondary I'll add the other ingredients be it spice, fruit, tea, or whatever. So far it's been working out pretty well. Particularly with blueberry and raspberry meads. I go with a single bag of frozen fruit from the store (no sugar added), thaw it out, then rack my mead over it. Easy peasy...

I'm still developing more complicated recipes, but for something to keep the carboys bubbling, this method is working out well for me. It keeps the "What if I do this" factor covered as well with minimal loss when things go awry. LOL