Thread: Must still sitting after failed pitch

Default Must still sitting after failed pitch

Ok, this may seem like a hard to answer question but I have search the forum and can't find a good answer.

I mixed up my must 11 days ago and pitched the yeast but it has failed to do anything. I don't live anywhere near a HBS and I have to order everything online. I contact the online retailer and they are supposed to be sending me a replacement but I still don't have it yet.

So my question is how long can a must sit in an airlocked and sanitized carboy and still be considered safe?

My ingrediants

18 lbs. OB honey
    2 navel oranges cut into 1/16ths
    juice of 2 navel oranges
    water to bring to 5 gallons
    2 vials White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast

I do not plan to ever use this yeast again. I am trying to determine if I should even attempt to repitch after I do finally receive my replacement.

I don't see any growths, but the oranges have gotten quite beaten up while aerating for the first three days and the pulp has taken on a brownish color, even though I have tried to keep them stirred down.

OG 1.126
    11 days later SG 1.126

edit: used no boil method, added 2 gallons water then honey, blended using lees stirrer on drill, added oranges and juice, then topped up to 5 gallons and pitched.
    Last edited by d.j.patterson; 04-07-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: clarity

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Well, if nothing else has gotten in there so far, and you keep it protected from oxygen it could last for a good while. If you sulfite it, most bacterial organisms can be held at bay. If you put it in a fridge (or somewhere cold) where the temp is below 40 F, you can probably hold onto it indefinitely while you wait.

It is always good to have a few packets of spare yeast around.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Thanks Medsen,

I just wasn't sure. I will sulfite it when I get home from work. I don't have any refrigerated area where I could keep it, so I just wasn't sure what the shelf life may have been.

I've read about so many problems with that yeast strain, I'll definately steer clear of it. I guess the only question still unanswered is what temperature the must is at, have you tried warming it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    It is always good to have a few packets of spare yeast around.
    Definitely. Next time you order, add a few packets of dry yeast to your order. Keep them in the fridge and they'll survive just about forever, and they can be really nice in a pinch when other yeast doesn't work out or you have a sudden urge to ferment something. I usually have some US-05 around, which is a clean fermenting ale yeast that is not very picky about what you throw it into (also comes in an 11 g packet, which is a lot of yeast). A good standby wine yeast would be 71B or K1V-1116.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

DR9, I would not use this yeast strain again. I also would not use the Wyeast liquid either. I have just heard too many bad things about both. I wish I would have read more in the forums before starting my first batch. Must is still sitting at room temp of 72*.

Akueck, I am including 2 packets of D47 and 2 packets of 71B in my next order.

My wife just called and told me that my replacement yeast has arrived at the house. Unfortunately it is the same strain. I am going to make a starter at low gravity and slowly increase it until I think it can handle the pitch.

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

You should also keep a packet of EC-1118 or UvaFerm 43 around to work with when something sticks - trust me, it happens even in the best of homes.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Thanks Medsen,

I will add 2 packets of EC1118 to the list as well.