Thread: Swarmed hive

Default Swarmed hive

My hive swarmed a couple weeks ago and the lot that took a hike vanished after about an hour.

Is there anything I need to do with the girls that remained in the hive? Just let nature take its course or intervene?

I am very hesitant in opening it in fear of breaking open queen cells.

This is the second year for this particular hive and I am hoping to harvest honey in a month or so.

Thanks!

Kerry says to leave it alone: the old queen left with the swarm, so there's a new queen (or one in the making) already. If you have queen cells, then there is nothing to worry about...just let nature take its course. You'll see larva as soon as the new queen goes on her mating flight.

In the future, you can put out a bee trap to catch the swarm whenever the hive splits. You should be able to get one from any bee keeping catalogue.
    From the bonny bells of heather
    They brewed a drink long-syne,
    Was sweeter far than honey,
    Was stronger far than wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic Alchemist View Post
    Kerry says to leave it alone: the old queen left with the swarm, so there's a new queen (or one in the making) already. If you have queen cells, then there is nothing to worry about...just let nature take its course. You'll see larva as soon as the new queen goes on her mating flight.

In the future, you can put out a bee trap to catch the swarm whenever the hive splits. You should be able to get one from any bee keeping catalogue.

Yaaa what he said, although catching the swarm is a crap shoot. The swarm will usually look for something at least 100 yards away, BUT in what direction.
    Funny thing, I have noticed swarms tend to land on the same limb, trunk etc.. year after year. Well at least the years there are swarms