Thread: Progress

1. Default Progress

So, thanks largely to you guys I've done about 300 bottles since I stopped posting here. I've got a system down where I clean the equipment, disolve cappings and otherwise hard to bottle honey into water until about 24 percent sugar, no sulfides, add nutrient and two packets of E1118 yeast after letting it sit for 15 minutes in warm water, aerate twice with a paint bit on a hand drill, rack once and then start drinking after 2 months or so.

Really easy! The mead is a bit dry, but that's the way I like it. I did the prickly pear deal and with apples of my tree, but nothings better than honey, and every batch tastes REALLY different, which makes sense as the bees are working different plants.

Anyway, this is a combination progress report and thank you to the board. I'll plan on stopping by occasionally to try to answer bee keeping questions as they may arise as a form of pay back.

Thanks!
    Tim

Tim,
    Have you had a chance to compare Cider to your Cyser and if so what is your opinion as to flavor difference. I also enjoy the dry side of a drink and had made my first batch of cider aged in a chestnut barrel for the winter. While waiting for the aging process I went and made a cranberry melomel and was astounded by the quality in a little over 2 months with the use of honey! Glad to hear your endeavors with honey bees as I am thinking of doing the same in a year or so.

Glad to hear it's going well - if you think it's good at 2 months, wait until you get to the 9-10 month mark, much smoother and fuller and just better.