• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Progress

Barrel Char Wood Products

TimV

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2009
So, thanks largely to you guys I've done about 300 bottles since I stopped posting here. I've got a system down where I clean the equipment, disolve cappings and otherwise hard to bottle honey into water until about 24 percent sugar, no sulfides, add nutrient and two packets of E1118 yeast after letting it sit for 15 minutes in warm water, aerate twice with a paint bit on a hand drill, rack once and then start drinking after 2 months or so.

Really easy! The mead is a bit dry, but that's the way I like it. I did the prickly pear deal and with apples of my tree, but nothings better than honey, and every batch tastes REALLY different, which makes sense as the bees are working different plants.

Anyway, this is a combination progress report and thank you to the board. I'll plan on stopping by occasionally to try to answer bee keeping questions as they may arise as a form of pay back.

Thanks!
Tim

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Tim,
Have you had a chance to compare Cider to your Cyser and if so what is your opinion as to flavor difference. I also enjoy the dry side of a drink and had made my first batch of cider aged in a chestnut barrel for the winter. While waiting for the aging process I went and made a cranberry melomel and was astounded by the quality in a little over 2 months with the use of honey! Glad to hear your endeavors with honey bees as I am thinking of doing the same in a year or so.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Glad to hear it's going well - if you think it's good at 2 months, wait until you get to the 9-10 month mark, much smoother and fuller and just better.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns