Thread: Not clear about when 1st should go to 2nd?

Default Not clear about when 1st should go to 2nd?

When mead is in primary bucket, when should you go to 2nd fermentation in the jug?

The loosest of rules would be by the time the really active fermentation has died down.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I usually wait until it is finished.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

I don't like to let anything sit longer than about 2 weeks on fruit so even if the fermentation has been a little sluggish, I'll pull the fruit bag out and rack into secondary... but so far almost everything has been close enough to finished for me (SG below 1.010) by two weeks, except the show meads, they were only around 1/3 sugar break at two weeks but not violently fermenting so I racked... so if you're starting out with a traditional mead with the intention of fruiting it in secondary, it may well take longer to finish than fermenting fruit in primary with the honey.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014