Thread: Aging Temp - Is 55 to 57 F OK?

Default Aging Temp - Is 55 to 57 F OK?

I know that the recommended aging temp is 60 F. I have a small wine chill 'fridge that measures at a stable 55 to 57 F. Is that still OK for aging the mead?

Since I don't have a basement or anyplace else that comes close to a relatively stable 60 F, this 'fridge seems to be my best option.
    My epitaph: I told you I was too old for this shit!

I'm pretty sure that will be fine, a lot of the folks here do their primary fermentation even colder than that. Secondary and aging should be fine at that temp.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

The temperature is ok, but is there any vibration present from the cooling system? That can be detrimental to a wine, or mead. A small cooler might be ok for short term storage of wine, but unless it's not only cool, but dark and quiet (no vibration), it may not be the best thing for aging.

--
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

Hell, I've kept gallon batches in my fridge for 6 months before bottling, and things came out just fine. :-)