Thread: Any mead lovers in Syracuse, NY?

Default Any mead lovers in Syracuse, NY?

Hey all,

My daughter and partner in mead crime Sarah is getting started on a Masters at Syracuse this fall. If anyone there knows the brewing and mead making scene there and would like to help her make some connections, post here or drop me a PM. I'd be much obliged. She's a bright kid, has made several batches with me, and knows her way around a beer store pretty well. Sarah could surely figure it out on her own with some time, but I was thinking a little Gotmead Catalyst wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,
    Ken
    It's time for some woodshedding, Willie Mae. The blue light was my blues, and the red light was my mind.

This probably won't help, but in case it does I do remember a bit of local stuff from my time in Ithaca (which, from a CA perspective, is very close to Syracuse).

Go to Dinosaur BBQ. This has nothing to do with mead, but you won't mind. And it's in Syracuse, unlike the rest of my list....

The only local meadery I remember is Earle Estates on Seneca Lake. There's a decent cider house in the area too, Bellwether. (also check out both the enviable domain names) The brewshop in the Ithaca area was located at the Ithaca Brewery, no idea if that is true anymore. I'm sure there is one in Syracuse too. I'd suggest also going to the farmer's markets, some wine places show up occasionally and they're a good place to start asking. If Ithaca isn't too far, there are frequent festival-things which the local wineries, etc show up to. (Syracuse might have the same thing.) Also Northside wines used to have tastings every Friday; this is where I first encountered the mead and cider folks.

There is a wine trail along at least Cayuga lake. Some of the wineries we liked best were on Seneca lake. Auburn is a cute little town, also Watkins Glen is nice. Taughannock park is also a must, tallest (maybe) waterfall in the east. Watch out for cops on rt 13.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

I'm in Syracuse and there's at least one other Got Mead member in the area. Feel free to drop me a PM.

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

I'm losing my mead-making buddy to graduate school as well--except mine is going to England.

I do find it hilarious that where most parents would like to keep their college student kids away from the demon rum (so to speak), you're just the opposite.

I am also in Syracuse (and the other person that crowquill mentioned...)
    I'd be happy to offer whatever I can...feel free to PM me as well

Great, Crowquill and dacj501. I saw the PM. If you'd be willing to pass along your names and contact info, I'll let Sarah know how she can get in touch.

akueck, I'll make sure she sees that note. Sounds like some very good leads.

Are there any active HB clubs in the area?

Thanks,
    Ken
    It's time for some woodshedding, Willie Mae. The blue light was my blues, and the red light was my mind.