• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I may be developing a luxury problem here...

Barrel Char Wood Products

saur0n

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I just bottled a 20 bottle batch of Yo's Strawberry Pizzaz (redubbed Eerdtbeziencruydt Melomel) which I tried layering in the basement. I'm affraid I have two options here... 1) Stop making mead or 2) Start drinking like crazy... (And I just started a batch of AHA fortiefied Plum mead this morning, so stopping obviously isn't an option)

2010-09-18-fullhouse.jpg

And while we were at it with the camera: the different meads I have made so far:

1. Blackcurrant Melomel
  2. Cinamon-Clove Metheglin
  3. EerdtbesienCruydt Melomel (AKA Yo's Strawberry Pizzaz)
  4. Moretum (Medieval aperitive based on a Pyment)
  5. Medus Mallorum (A spiced Cyser)
  6. Blackcurrant Mel II (Currants in secondary in stead of in primary)
  7. Melomel Citrus Sinensis Maurorum (Blloodorange mel)
  8. Lavender-Vanilla Metheglin
  9. Traditional Mead
  10. Multiberry melomel
  11. JAO
2010-09-18.jpg

And this... is the latest addition to the tribe. Happily bubbeling along, I give you: Memento Mori Melomel. Since it will turn out to be rather heavy, the subtitle on the label will be "Cave Crapulam" ;D

2010-09-18-MMM.jpg

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well done saur0n, very nice bit of racking and beautiful labelling. Is that just a garage/shed or is it a cellar ?????

regards

fatbloke

p.s. and yes, I feel the pain as I also have lots too drink, though most of it's still in 1 gallon batches......

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Wow, that is a nice setup. I will gladly volunteer to help with the surplus mead problem anytime you want. ;) The labels are great, makes me feel like a slacker for my "sharpie on the cap" method.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Wow, that is a nice setup. I will gladly volunteer to help with the surplus mead problem anytime you want. ;) The labels are great, makes me feel like a slacker for my "sharpie on the cap" method.
Nah, s'alright, I'll help with that..... I'm closer than you are and wouldn't like to put you all the effort of travelling so far ;D

teejay58

NewBee
Registered Member
May 31, 2010
Texas
If you find a cure for your luxury problem, let me know. I think I've caught the bug as well. Just emailed someone tonight about some brewing equipment on craigslist. I need more buckets! And bottles. Did I mention bottles?! Dang you for infecting me, akueck! :p

saur0n

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Thanks for the comments, guys!

@fatbloke: It's a cellar all right. At least part of one. Sadly my wife keeps reminding me that's all the storage space I can have. Apparentely there's other stuff that needs storage too. (But if you ask me, it's just her little scheme to ensure a continuous supply of surplus mead to the livingroom...)

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Swing by here on your way fatbloke. I'll come with you. ;D (If we did it in December we could take a side trip and do the march at Bastogne while we were there.)

Very nice pictures and I love the labels. :cheers:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I'm envious of your setup too... I'm trying to convert a corner of my basement to the fermentation station but it's a long slow process!

Hehe, I have the same problem too... although having set up a new rack last night I now have enough space to store another ten gallons bottled... and I washed bottles... so really there's not much of an excuse, is there... ;D

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
Thanks for the comments, guys!

@fatbloke: It's a cellar all right. At least part of one. Sadly my wife keeps reminding me that's all the storage space I can have. Apparentely there's other stuff that needs storage too. (But if you ask me, it's just her little scheme to ensure a continuous supply of surplus mead to the livingroom...)

That looks very similar to my cellar, except you have nicer shelves, bottles and are better organized. I'll need to bookmark this thread and use it to motivate me to fix up the cellar.

saur0n

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Heheh...

The metal rack is an office-leftover, the wooden shelves are from Ikea (€6.5 / about $8.5) and I have a nice deal with a restaurant for the bottles. They don't have to drag all of their empty bottles to the glass recycle container and I don't have to pay for my bottles ;D. Also: the chef likes his bottle of Moretum now and then ;)

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
My shelves are partical board, with the fake wood pealing off and I'm terrified the only shelf tall enough for my 1 gallon carboys of bulk aging, experimental batches will give out.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice labels indeed!

I label everything. I had though that I had created some really nice labels. But by comparison, mine now look like a child's stick figure drawing.

Excellent work... and thanks for the lesson in humility.

darthbooger

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2010
Some Military Base
wow, thats like a man cave but more like a dungeon! I dont think I could pull that setup off on military housing, I am already going to have to start trusting family with some of my bottles so when I have to move im not moving 60 bottles of mead with me o my next duty station, when I retire, I am making a man cave required for my final home

Braxton

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Twin Cities
The last thing I bottled, a blended cyser, wound up on the floor in the corner of the basement because I have no room left on my shelves. I've got to start giving some of the mead to friends... well, the mediocre stuff anyways.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns