• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Starting a Pyment

Barrel Char Wood Products

PJero

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 24, 2005
Milano - Italy
Hello everyone! I just tried to make mead 1 or 2 times and I'd like to experiment with a batch (very small) of pyment. I'm writing from Italy and in this time of the year you can find a lot of very good wine grapes'... so...

My question is: Is it possible to just make pyment from pressed grape juice, honey, water, yeast and nutrient, without adding any sulfite and so on?

Can I follow the basic recipe for a medium-sweet mead and just try to balance SG with water and juice?

Thanks
Luke

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Yes and yes.

Sulfiting the grapes (or pressed juice) suppresses the native yeast. If you don't sulfite, you can get a flavor contribution from the yeast that is present on the grape skins. Or, you can let those yeast run the fermentation entirely. Grapes from an established vineyard are probably the least-risky choice for a "wild" fermentation.

Cylvre

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I just started a variant batch of this yesterday, seems like a good base recipe for a pyment: http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&Itemid=459&recipe_id=120

I used fresh-pressed wild river grapes (no sulfites) for mine and made up the balance of the liquid with Welches Black Cherry Grape (no preservatives), used honey from the same property (my grandfathers) and added some extra since the river grapes are quite tart and I want a sweeter product in the end. I had a false start with some old yeast initially, but I pitched a new starter in this afternoon and it's on its way now. Good luck on your venture!

Last edited:

PJero

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 24, 2005
Milano - Italy
What kind of honey will bebest for a pyment? Or... in a different way... What will you search in the honey for a pyment? (Asking this because I don't have access on a lot of different kinds....)... Wild honey? Chestnut? Orange?

saur0n

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
What kind of honey will bebest for a pyment?
I tend to use wildflower since in my experience the grapes easily overpower the honey anyway. I normally let my pyments finish dry as I use them as a base for a medieval aperitif. When I let them finish demisec there is a slight hint of honey in the nose, but not too much...

ash

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 23, 2009
Ghent / Belgium
www.mspace.com
I would not worry to much about wild yeast in the grapes since (if you use high quality products) it is a natural process. Here in Belgium we even have a sort of fermenting called Lambic. That only uses wild yeast and even lets the most ferment to open air.

The thing is that you have to make sure all your equipment is sanitized so no other beasties exept for your yeast and the wild yeast in the grapes get into your most.

I think the wild yeasties can influence the taste of the final product in a positive way as long as you let it age sufficiently. Check on it enough, just to make sure it doesn't get infected by fungus or something ugly like that.

Don't worry, most mistakes and unwanted effects can be compensater for later on.

A

andrewschwab

suggestion

Use the skins and some stem, the added tannin will be great.
Try 2 batches one with the native yeast on the grape. The other start your mead (water/honey,yeast of choice), give it about 2 days of fermentation time then add your grapes. They will overtake anybody that is hitching a ride on the grapes. See what you get...;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns