• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

need nutrient ?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Northerner

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 3, 2010
I am making a 5 gallon batch using 2lbs of dried apricot in addition to the honey,(d-47 yeast) it has started to ferment,mainly the fruit though.Should i add yeast nutrient to boost the process and if so what is recomended?
Also, is it a bad idea to skim the scum in an open pail primary fermentation?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Nutrient additions are generally a good idea for honey musts, even with significant amounts of fruit (5+ lbs/gal). How much you need will depend on the particulars. If you could post your recipe and the steps you've taken so far, we can help dial in an appropriate amount of nutrients.

Northerner

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 3, 2010
20.7cups of honey and 1.8 lbs of dried apricot,i did the cold mix method and used icv d-47 yeast in hopes that it would finish a bit sweeter. my starting sg is,1.104 and i have aerated it a few times and it has started to ferment.I put the fruit into a hopsock(is that a good idea,i figured it would be easier to rack).Its in an open pail for now,two days so far but i plan on racking it to a sealed carboy when the gravity drops to about 1.07, this all makes sense to me in my own head,i think. If i am way off,i appreciate the help;D

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
So I'd say shoot for something in the neighborhood of 200 ppm of YAN. My rules of thumb are 1 g/gal DAP is 50 ppm and 1 g/gal FermaidK is 25 ppm. Not quite correct but close enough. (There are lots of threads on nutrients with the gory details.) For 5 gallons, call it 15 g DAP and 10 g FermaidK, which you can spread out over a few additions leading up to the 1/3 break.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns