• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

newbee looking for advice

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ronnd

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2010
Hello all, new to the mead making world about to put on my first batch of blackberry melomel this is my idea
10 pounds fresh local honey (my own)
5 pounds frozen blackberries
Kv 1116 yeast I think that's what it
4 cups sugar
Mixed up to 4 gal
My questions are do I need to add any nutrient to it with the berries and if so just use nutrient or to use tea leaves(heard can do that but don't know what it will do to flavor) and whether to split the berries between the first two racks? Thanks in advance for getting me pointed in the right direction.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Hi Ronnd,

First I'd like to welcome you to gotmead?...

WELCOME TO GOTMEAD?

If you haven't already, I would suggest reading through the NewBee Guide found in the left hand tool bar.

Next using the search tool can be very helpful. Search under "blackberry" and you will find some top notch recipes (I'm not sure but, you my be a little lite on the blackberry for primary addition with KV 1116).

Search under "nutrients" and and you will find many post on nutrient protocol for melomels.

Search hint: search under posts rather than treads when searching a subject.

I'm sure the experts will be able to help with the nutrients but I think it's safe to say you can leave out the tea leaves with melomels (search "tea leaves" to learn why).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns