Thread: newbie

Default newbie

Hi there ! I'm new to the mead making scene, and I thought I'd introduce myself. I've brewed my own beer and ciders in the past, and I'm stepping up to the challenge of mead making. Since I'm new to this, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-zackterry
    That which does not kill us makes us stronger...

-Nieche

Welcome to what is probably the single most authoritative resource for mead making in the English speaking world!

I'd recomend reading through the newbee guide (in the lefthand menu of this site). A lot of the info will be redundant for you, but some of the differences between meadmaking and brewing are extreme enough that you'll want a good working knowledge before starting your first batch.

Welcome aboard, zackterry!

I guess I'll say it before the mentors do, have a thorough read of the Newbee Guide. There's a lot of good info there and if you're already into beer and cider there shouldn't be too much to confuse you there.

Get to know the search tool on this page, this wonderful group of folks have tried fermenting just about anything, it's always good to review other people's experiences before you start making something with a particular ingredient.

And if you can't find it, ask!!

If you like sweet drinks, I highly suggest trying a JAO, it'll at least be done fast enough to keep you away from any traditional meads or melomels you want to age but can't keep your hands off of
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Welcome to Mead Making Mecca!!!

I would add, on top of what's already been said, that if someone here hasn't made/brewed/fermented it yet, someone's thinking about it...

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Welcome Zackterry!

Since no one has mentioned it, do check out the NewBee Guide.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

What everyone else said, and although nobody else has mentioned it, I highly recommend spending some quality time with the Newbee Guide.

Hey, thanks for the wonderful input guys! The newbee guide seems really informative, and I've just got the supplys together for a gallon of Joe's ancient orange mead. Not trying to rush it, mind, I just started there to get my feet wet, and a friend of mine made it before, and it's TASTY!!!

-zackterry

-Nieche

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought it was funny that 4 of the 5 responses said something like "And since no one else mentioned it, I'd check out the NewBee guide".

But, I digress. Welcome to GotMead zackterry! Once you start making mead...it's very hard to stop.
    Find what you like, and hone it to perfection.

And don't serve dodgy mead!

Quote Originally Posted by YogiBearMead726 View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought it was funny that 4 of the 5 responses said something like "And since no one else mentioned it, I'd check out the NewBee guide".
    Yeah, it was a running joke for a minute. (I think everyone knew that the people before them had mentioned it)

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Yeah, it was a running joke for a minute. (I think everyone knew that the people before them had mentioned it)
    *Sigh*...of course I don't pick up on the sarcasm. That tends to be a problem when dealing with the digital age of communication.
    Find what you like, and hone it to perfection.

And don't serve dodgy mead!

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

Sarcastic we are. But in a nice way.

LOL, nothing wrong with sarcasm at all .

-Nieche