• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Exciting Dinner Plans for the Big 25th?

Barrel Char Wood Products

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
Any delicious dinner plans for the big 25th?

I have a leg of lamb with a dijon-rosemary-garlic rub planned.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Not much for the 25th, but the 24th is when my extended family gets together for a big Ukrainian xmas eve dinner. I always get a kick out of it, because my girlfriend being vegan is very hard on my grandmother's brain, and she always comes up with something really weird for my gf to eat.

One year it was sauteed mushrooms mixed with onions, wheat and honey - very weird. Last year was better, my baba seemed to have independantly invented a Ukrainian version of hummous... she gave my girl a big bowl of mashed navy beans and garlic!

Now the funny part is that she's going to all this trouble to make something not honestly very good (other than the "hummous", but who can eat a whole bowl of just that?!) - but there's actually already a big pile of vegan food there anyways! Cabbage rolls: vegan. Perogis: vegan (if you skip adding butter or use margerine instead). Mashed potatoes: vegan, plus other little things. I remind her of this every year, we'll see if she remembers this time!

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering where the bacon is in all this stuff, it's an Orthodox xmas eve, so no land-animal/bird meat, just seafood and plants (I still haven't found anyone truely religious in the family, but for some reason the tradition goes on!). Plus my baba never really puts meat in her cabbage rolls or cheese in her perogis etc, just her style.

Last edited:

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
Nah! me I go for the "old" traditional, not the adopted one from the US of turkey.

So it'll be goose for me :p

Given that I have never eaten goose, that sounds pretty exciting to me.

AToE, your holiday get together sounds exciting to say the least. Good luck with the upcoming Vegan adventures...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
AToE, your holiday get together sounds exciting to say the least. Good luck with the upcoming Vegan adventures...

It's also funny that the last time I was talking to my grandma about my girlfriend's diet I had to explain the whole complimentary protien thing (grains compliment beans is the general rule, combine them in a meal and you get the complete list of amino acids for animal protien).

Also, baba said she can't picture a "hearty" or "heavy" vegetarian/vegan dish, to her vegetarian just means light, like a salad (like my gf always says, it's not health food, it's just not meat!). But then she goes and makes all this great hearty vegitarian stuff like cabbage rolls and perogis. ;D Totally funny the misperceptions some people have - I'll have to introduce her to Indian food, now that is some seriously heavy vegitarian fare!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Or you can give her a big bowl of lentil soup (vegan, of course). That's something she'd probably have some experience with. Very few people that I know of don't consider lentils to provide a "hearty" meal.

To stay on topic, I must admit that we don't do much for Christmas dinner any more. With the kids' attention focused on presents and the like, they're the last ones to be interested in a big meal on Christmas day, so we've taken to doing a traditional Polish Wigilia ("vigil") dinner on Christmas Eve. It is also a non-red meat meal. We do some fish and cheese in some dishes, but the rest could pass for vegan (at least the way we've updated the recipes, it can).

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
I'll have to introduce her to Indian food, now that is some seriously heavy vegitarian fare!

Its true that people do not realize how many non-meat options are out there and how many of those options they already eat.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Down here our Cuban friends celebrate Nochebuena eating Lechón. This is a suckling pig marinated with a sour-orange concoction and then roasted in a pit dug in the ground. The meat is so tender it just falls off the bone.

My family will be enjoying the traditional Haitian Grillot tonight, which is a recipe for fried pork chunks (also prepared with sour-oranges) served with a pickled cabbage side dish. It is really good, but really really at the other end of the spectrum from Vegan. :) They'll also be fried plantains and red beans and rice, and a lot of other tasty stuff.

And egg nog - I love egg nog (with the appropriate amount of Calvados added).

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Before the meal we’ll have bruschetta, and a pepperoni and cheese tray, and a veggie tray. We’ll be starting the main meal with Tortellini-Sausage soup, a huge salad, and some good crusty bread. Then pasta of course! You mean there are people out there that don’t have pasta for Christmas? (Gasp!) And we can't forget the baccalà. We’ll also have some of the “minor” dishes like turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes and a baked ham. Tiramisu and a ton of other desserts.

Then there will be candy, cookies, coffee, espresso, beer, wine, whiskey, friends and family ALL day long!

Headed to the in-laws for the "Feast of the Seven Fishes" tonight!

Happy Holidays to our extended family here at GotMead!

Last edited:

crowquill

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 13, 2008
Syracuse NY
We always do roast beef for Christmas dinner but this year it will just be three of us as my oldest boy is off on his own and can't get home for Christmas and we won't be traveling for a few days. We'll pair the beef with a nice red wine. I have not yet found a mead that stands up to beef as well as a nice red wine....

epetkus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
Well..., I do most of the cooking, and Christmas meals tend to run the gamut from pheasant, to ham, to turkey, etc.

This year, at my wife's request, I'm making cheese and meat raviolis from scratch, including: Pasta, marinara sauce, Madeira cream sauce, meat filling and cheese filling. Oh yeah, and she loves cheesy potatoes au gratin, so I've mixed up a good batch of those as well using several different cheeses.

Hope everyone truly enjoys their family, friends, acquaintances, etc. during holiday season.

Eric

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
-----%<-----
And egg nog - I love egg nog (with the appropriate amount of Calvados added).
Damn! that's something we hear mentioned at this time of year on "American influenced" tv programmes.

The closest we tend to see is the dutch made "Advocaat" - which lots of people have but invariably it just sits at the back of the drinks cabinet.

Post up yer egg nog recipe Medsen, I'd love to have a go at it......

regards

fatbloke

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Nah! me I go for the "old" traditional, not the adopted one from the US of turkey.

So it'll be goose for me :p

Interesting. My FIL asked me last night if I knew where he could get goose do he could make a traditional Czech dinner next year...
The Dinner last night were less than traditional... I think it rubbed a couple of ppl up the wrong way.
But I brought a go English Christmas pudding, made old style. So I held up my side ;) Half the ppl there had never eaten it before! :eek: I couldn't believe it. I thought everybody had pudding at Christmas!

Now I simply cannot wait until next year.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
My family will be enjoying the traditional Haitian Grillot tonight, which is a recipe for fried pork chunks (also prepared with sour-oranges) served with a pickled cabbage side dish. It is really good, but really really at the other end of the spectrum from Vegan. :) They'll also be fried plantains and red beans and rice, and a lot of other tasty stuff.

This sounds excellent, I might have to research a recipe for myself to try this in the new year (Jan 1st I will have finished a one year "fast" of no land/air animals, no particular reason I did it, just a test of will power).

Xmas was great for me, lots of perogi and petiskeh (spelling?).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns