• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

"Researchers find "alarming" decline in bumblebees" (as well as honeybees)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
When I was out this autumn picking asters, I saw very few bees compared to what I'd expect, mostly I saw honey bees but one bumblebee made it home in my bucket... and I only saw the little bumblebees this year, none of the regular-sized ones... kind of scary...

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
When I was out this autumn picking asters, I saw very few bees compared to what I'd expect, mostly I saw honey bees but one bumblebee made it home in my bucket... and I only saw the little bumblebees this year, none of the regular-sized ones... kind of scary...

Strange. A little south and east of your location, I saw a bumper crop of bumble bees, but not too many honey bees last summer.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Strange. A little south and east of your location, I saw a bumper crop of bumble bees, but not too many honey bees last summer.

Ooh, how south and east? Metcalfe? Russell? Embrun? Casselman? or farther out like Cornwall? We're getting close to enough meadmakers in the area to think about meeting up!

OK, local gushing aside :toothy9:, my harvesting experiences have been in North Gower, which is south and a little west of Ottawa, and the only time I paid particular attention to bees this year was in October when the bees were all slow because it was getting cold and I was trying not to bring any of them home with me again. So it wasn't really a valid study, just my own biased observations this year as compared to other years when I'm picking wild grapes at that time and stumbling into all manner of honey and bumble bees - the weather was wonky this year, I barely got half a pound of grapes :( so I fermented asters instead.

The bees don't generally go after the fruits I harvest there, although this year there were 2 types of butterflies going after the windfall pears (which fell early this year) and there were some of the BIGGEST damn wasps I've ever seen harassing them. I've never seen butterflies after the pears before and I've been picking that tree over every year for the last decade.

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sorry, I meant south and west. ;)
Specifically, the Haliburton area and just north of Toronto. My mum's Monarda
was just covered in bumblebees this year near Toronto, and at our cottage I noticed the same thing. They love Monarda, hence the common name "Bee Balm".
Lots of bumblers, not so many honey bees.
I just got some honey from an apiary in Lafontaine, ON and he mentioned that his honey bees weren't too bad this year.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Ah, you'll be closer to Jord then...

My mom had a lot of honeybees drinking at her little garden fountain this year, she's had the fountain in for at least five years and it's the first she's seen more than one bee there.

("Bee Balm" reminded me that my mom grows it too which reminded me about the fountain)

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Ah, you'll be closer to Jord then...

My mom had a lot of honeybees drinking at her little garden fountain this year, she's had the fountain in for at least five years and it's the first she's seen more than one bee there.

("Bee Balm" reminded me that my mom grows it too which reminded me about the fountain)

I've been getting involved with the native plant society, and we've been planting native plants, and trying to get others to do so, in their gardens.
They attract a lot of bees and butterflies.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns