• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

GotMead? Mead Calculator Pretty Accurate?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
I'm almost ready to begin a Raspberry Melomel and I've been using the GotMead? calculator to determine the poundage of honey to use in a 5 gallon batch. The calc. says 12.5 lbs. honey for 5 gallons which creates a specific gravity must of 1.09 and that is an ABV of 12.22% with a final gravity of 0.998.
The Raspberries will be racked onto after fermentation is complete.

Does that sound right to you guys? Pretty accurate?

Thanks,
Jonas

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
That sounds like what will happen with a wine yeast. It'll finish pretty dry.

I'll be backsweetening Just before Bottling, so no prob! :)

Sounds about right. Keep in mind that your berries will dilute the abv.

Yes, I've thought of this. I plan on racking to sorbate and sulphite before the berries, allowing to sit for about 2 - 4 days, in order to cease any surviving yeast-ies.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
The calculator gives pretty good estimates, and it is a great tool, but sometimes you find when you use a particular honey, the numbers are quite a bit off. It is best to use less than you think you need, and see where that gets you, and go up from there.

Brego Brew

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
The calculator gives pretty good estimates, and it is a great tool, but sometimes you find when you use a particular honey, the numbers are quite a bit off. It is best to use less than you think you need, and see where that gets you, and go up from there.

I did think of that, but very good suggestion! I'm thinking what I'll do is Thoroughly mix in 11 lbs honey, instead of the full 12.5, and then take a hydrometer reading.

That brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. Hydrometer, or Refractometer? I like the idea of a Refract., so what are the pro's and con's?

Thanks,
Jonas

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns