Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brew Bot

Default Brew Bot

Just for the engineers in the group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xQen...mbedded#at=582

Cheers
    Jay

I like the little hop chutes.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

Cool

Roger

Somebody had way too much time on their hands...
    "I've never forgotten anything that I can remember."

It's cute, but how much time is involved in setup and programming versus how long it'd take to do it yourself?

(yes I AM an engineer and yes I know that's not the point when it comes to cool toys )
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post

(yes I AM an engineer and yes I know that's not the point when it comes to cool toys )
    Love the McFeely quote you've added to your signature, CG!
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

Is everyone here an engineer except me?!

Quote Originally Posted by wildoates View Post
    Only the cool folks.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

I'm an engineer...
    "I've never forgotten anything that I can remember."

I'm an audio engineer, sounds like just as fancy a title, but no post-secondary required.

(I do have a little post secondary, in writing and religion, but it's a hobby not something I've ever done full time or with the goal of ever getting any kind of degree)
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    I'm an audio engineer, sounds like just as fancy a title, but no post-secondary required.

(I do have a little post secondary, in writing and religion, but it's a hobby not something I've ever done full time or with the goal of ever getting any kind of degree)
    I'm a engineer too, in the mining indusrty. Here in PA one cannot even put the word "engineer" on a business card or stationery unless they are a registered professional engineer. First offense is a $1,000 fine and it increases quickly for multiple offenses. To get registered one must work as an engineer-in-training for five years under another registered engineer and then pass an all-day, national exam. I'd guesstimate that less then half of the people who get a 4-year degree in engineering, actually get registered in PA.

But I regress... VERY cool toy!
    Age improves with mead, even more than mead improves with age.

Quote Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
    I'm a engineer too, in the mining indusrty. Here in PA one cannot even put the word "engineer" on a business card or stationery unless they are a registered professional engineer. First offense is a $1,000 fine and it increases quickly for multiple offenses. To get registered one must work as an engineer-in-training for five years under another registered engineer and then pass an all-day, national exam. I'd guesstimate that less then half of the people who get a 4-year degree in engineering, actually get registered in PA.
    In Canada we differentiate between the degree and the professional designation (similar deal), so if I had business cards they would say B. Eng, not P.Eng. I'm happy without the responsibility (making a mistake on the job can lead to fines and even jailtime) and with a degree ten years stale, I would require a lot of retraining just to get a position that would lead to professional designation. And Wildoates, don't feel bad, I survived the degree but it ain't all it's cracked up to be!

But I regress... VERY cool toy!
    Absolutely... still curious how much time it saves though
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I'm not an engineer either, but I have ridden a train.

I'd like to see a bot designed to get all the honey dissolved in the fermenter.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

My last couple of Job titles involve the title Engineer, Level 3 UNIX/Linux Engineer and currently UNIX Security Engineer. Level 3 means you don't call me when your desktop breaks, you call me when your business critical server breaks. I think this means I'm one of those geeks that secretly rules the world. As a UNIX Security Engineer I man the battlements keeping the unwashed barbarians at bay.

I do not have an Engineering degree however, I just play one at work.

So what do "Microsoft Certified Engineers do?" and I wonder what they would call my best friend, he refers to himself as an Engineer, but his degrees say PHd in Physics?

Me I just play with data all day for people.

Quote Originally Posted by JayH View Post
    So what do "Microsoft Certified Engineers do?" and I wonder what they would call my best friend, he refers to himself as an Engineer, but his degrees say PHd in Physics?

I doubt that "Microsoft Certified Engineers" would qualify as engineers in PA.

I think it's crazy that degreed engineers cannot legally refer to themselves as engineers. The really nutty thing is that one does not necessarily have to have a degree in engineering to get to be a Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.). They must first pass an all-day, national Fundamentals of Engineering (F.E.) Exam (previously call the Engineer-in-Training Exam, E.I.T.) and do engineering work for five years under a P.E. THEN they can take the P.E. exam. Your friend with the degree in physics may have a decent chance of passing the engineering exams if he takes short courses geared at passing those exams.

PA has just instituted a requirement for engineers to get a number of CEU-type credits to maintain their license. I do it, but I fail to see how attending a boring lecture or a trade show makes me a better engineer. I presented a paper in Denver earlier this month. I love the Big Blue Bear at staring into the convention center.
    Age improves with mead, even more than mead improves with age.

Quote Originally Posted by JayH View Post

Typically Microsoft certification is referred to as MSCE.

Also you can have a title such as Vice President, Engineering on your business card, you just can't claim to be an engineer without a PE.

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

Those who can, do. Those who can't....well, we teach.

I sent the link to my son and he replied that his girlfriend would never let him have one.

Quote Originally Posted by wildoates View Post
    Not EVERYone...
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

I presented a paper in Denver earlier this month. I love the Big Blue Bear at staring into the convention center.
    And you didn't let us know you were out here?? Shame on you....
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast