Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naming your brews

Default Naming your brews

On the morning bike ride commute, I was pondering how I go about naming brews, and how others might approach it.

It seems like there are a lot of naming styles; some go for the play on words, others try to conjure images from the past, while others may be more straight forward and direct. What is your style?
    Last edited by chiguire; 02-25-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

I play with words as much as I do with the mead itself - this is supposed to be play, anyway!
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

I just name them what they are usually, so pretty much un-named! I'm just absolutely terrible at naming them, and unless it's a recipe I think is going to be a repeat I don't bother naming it.
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

Most of them are named after the cats in one way or another, but the cyser was named for my late MiL, who died the week we started it.

Some aren't even named because I'm not as clever as Wayne is.

5. Default my way

I usually name my brews from something random I see... I made a hoppy beer with my brother on Easter last year and called it Hoppy Easter... another time we saw a ferrett run across the back yard and named our beer ... wild ferrett ale...its fun to name them from random things

I normally don't name them, but rather "describe" them.

However, with the Mazer cup entries, there is a name field, so I just winged it with things similar to what was made.

Eric
    Magnificent, Enchanting, Alcohol Delight - MEAD!

Smile

I love naming my brews...and I've only done two so far

Pumpkin Pie
    and
    Betelgeuse

Spontaneous Inspiration!
    Maybe that will be the name of a future brew...

My creativity (such as it is) is spent on things besides naming, so I also go the "describe it" route: Pale Ale, Cacao Mead, etc. I really should start naming these things, but I'll need a "brand consultant" to help out.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

I usually play either on what they are, or what they remind me of...

Such as my first brew, a honey porter, which no light could penetrate, or be seen entering, was called "Black Hole Sun"... Had a nice warming effect to it, hence the 'Sun' aspect...

My first barleywine (an accidental one at that) is called "Sweet Oblivion" since it's 9.7% and a bit on the sweet side...

My first old ale, is really smooth, and only about 8.1% ABV, so it's named "Dirty Old Man"...

My ESB, where my mash was F'd up and I didn't hit my target OG, and had more bitterness early on (when first tasting it) got the name "Hoppy Accident"...

The brew that's almost two weeks in primary, which is a Strong Scotch Ale, with honey malt, has a working name of "Honey Scotch"... I know, not very creative, but a bit of a word play... I might change the name on that one before it's in bottles too long (before they get labled at the very least)...

Brewing a cream ale tomorrow that is getting some honey malt added (~7% of the grain bill), with no real special name yet... Will see how that one comes out... It will be on the strong side, probably at least 6% ABV...

I still have my Mocha Madness mead still in process...

I do need to work on coming up with better names for things... We'll see how things progress...

I put all my creativity into coming up with my recipes, so I tend to go for descriptive names rather than creative names... that way when I dig a bottle of something out of the cellar 3 years later, I don't have to look it up in the brewlog to find out what the heck I'm drinking
    Last edited by Chevette Girl; 02-26-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: ain't got no good english, just good proofreading when it's too late
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    I put all my creativity into coming up with my recipes, so I tend to go for descriptive names rather than creative names... that way when I dig a bottle of something out of the cellar 3 years later, I don't have to look it up in the brewlog to find out what the heck I'm drinking
    Agreed, I might tweek it a little but for the most part the name is just the major ingredients I used

Quote Originally Posted by TDMooney View Post
    Agreed, I might tweek it a little but for the most part the name is just the major ingredients I used
    Same here too.
    I think the home made label for the bottle is the cool creative side of the journey for what may be held within?

TB

I give my meads generic names until I send them into a competition. So most of them are labeled Strawberry '09, Appricot/Raspberry '10, etc.

I have a chaulkboard on my keggerator, so I try to me a little more creative. A play on words for the style or ingredients is my first goal.

Next would be to mention something that happened during the brew day. For example, I justed kegged my Snow Day Irish Red. I have no idea what I'll do if I like this recepie and make it again when I'm not in the middle of a blizzard.

And if all else fails, I just go with the generic description of what it is. Kentucky Common, Gluten Free IPA, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mkshfr View Post
    another time we saw a ferrett run across the back yard and named our beer ... wild ferrett ale...
    Ha! I like that.

All very different approaches. I enjoy hearing about them all.

I'm boring. I just number mine.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I'm boring. I just number mine.
    I really should start tagging batches with a number too... would prevent such problems as I had last year when I went flipping through my log book to figure out what I'd just bottled and discovered that it was "already" bottled... so I've got two blueberry second run mels bottled the same year (different month) that both show the same start date on their labels I have at least started listing the date on the name tags now (I use leftover lick-and-stick wine labels that came with a kit to label my carboys, saves me the problem of what happens when the cardboard tags I used to attach to the airlock fall off )
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    I really should start tagging batches with a number too...
    Each batch I do actually gets two numbers. I do an "Overall Brew Number" and a "Brew Batch Number". The first represents a unique recipe and the second is used to identify each batch of that recipe. So the second batch of my third brew recipe gets a "3 - 2 ". Any more information than that and I have to go back to my log. I do include a "Name" field in my log book just in case, but I haven't used it yet.

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I'm with Wayne on liking the word-play, puns, and whatever else I can come up with to make them interesting sounding. I just like to have as much fun with it as I can.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

My best named brew came from and accident and experimenting with adding honey to ale. I made 3 batches at the same time. The honey ale was batch 2 the first batch got plain caps, batch 2 got 1 stripe from the perm marker, batch 3 got 2 stripes ( usually the ale did not sit around long enough to need identification) I was shopping at the brewstore and was going to make my fav extract red ale, bought dry malt extract (on sale im cheap) didnt even think that the recipie was for syrup. Then added about 3lbs of honey to try a honey ale a 5 gal batch. It ended up about 7.5%, smooth, very tasty and kicka$$. We called it 1 Stripe Ale. I still make it. I always wanted to make lables for it, never have gotten around to it. Dad suggested a muscular arm holding a beer with a green short sleeve and private stripe, and a Airborne tattoo. He said he would have liked it when on R&R. (I was born at Ft Brag)

Jim

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

That is great imagery! I'd say go find an artist to work it up as label art - that's a winner!!
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast